Bronco Hut  

Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts   Toms Bronco Parts   BC Broncos
Community
 Message Forum
 Photo Gallery
 Event Calendar
 Book Reviews
 Bronco Wallpaper
 Bronco FAQ

600+ Bronco Links!

Search all Bronco Links
Buy / Sell
 Classifieds / Want Ads
 Vendor Forum
Rust Bullet
Bronco Tech
Recent Tech Articles
 •Holley Carb Tips
 •Aussie Locker
 •C6 203 205 Doubler
 •4 Link
 •Clutch Replacement
 •Early Turn Signals
 •C4 Improvements
 •Threaded Dipstick
 •NV3550 5 spd
     More Tech...
Bronco Auctions

Welcome to the ClassicBroncos.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a GUEST which limits your access to viewing only. To take advantage of all the forum features please take a moment to register. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact the admin. If you've lost your password click here.

Go Back   ClassicBroncos.com Forums > Archives > Bronco Chat - Archives

Old 02/10/03, 10:30 AM   #1
Blueoval4me

Westsiede!

Fullerton, CA
How do you keep your batteries fresh and alive?

My bronco is now a trail only rig, and between driving it and runs the battery goes dead. I dont think cycling the battery between charged and dead is good for it because it seems like its not coming back as much as it used to (I run an optima orange top). I've also head leaving a trickle charger on it all the time is bad.<br><br>Any ideas?<br><br>TIA

72 yellow rustbucket, 5.5 in lift, 33&quot tires, kayline softtop, 5.0, 3 spd, getting there little by little
Old 02/10/03, 11:11 AM   #2
Jeepster
Bronco Guru

syracuse
Re:How do you keep your batteries fresh and alive?

pull the + cable and slap the charger on it once in a while. Theres not much else you can do other than swaping it into another vehicle for use.
Old 02/10/03, 11:15 AM   #3
Allen_69
Bronco Guru

Sugar Grove Pa

In addition to what jeepster said, temperature changes are the biggest cause of battery drainage. If your vehicle is stored in a garage, just pull the wires. If it is kept outside in the elements, pull the batter and store it inside where the temp is relatively stable
Old 02/10/03, 11:37 AM   #4
Nuke

I might as well fix it since I have it apart.

Raleigh

Have the same problem with my jetski. Here is what you can do:

1) Always disconnect the negative terminal while in storage. This is good for 2-4 weeks.

2) If storing for longer then a month, charge it once a month.

The easiest thing you can do it get one of those &quot;battery maintance&quot; devices at Wal-Mart or some auto part store that acts as a very slow trickle charger. You leave the battery in the car and plug the charger into you wall outlet. It will detect when the battery needs a charge.
Old 02/10/03, 11:43 AM   #5
Broncobowsher
Bronco Guru

Adapt and overcome

Maricopa, AZ

Have it fully charged when you park it. For some reason a fully charged battery doesn't self discharge like one that is down a little.<br>Keep the battery clean. Dirt conducts eletricity, not very well, but over time....<br>Disconnect the NEGITAVE cable. It really sucks to disconnect the positive and bump the inner fender with the wrench. That's not good for either the sheetmetal or the battery.<br>It also keeps any parisatic drains away from the battery due to the wonderful wiring most of us have.<br>Keep the battery indoors if possible. Stable room temperture is the best.<br>Trickle chargers are a slow murder. I have seen countless batteries die on a trickle charger. <br><br>My yellow top boat battery has spent a lot of it's live in the garage. It gets a top off every couple of months from an automatic shut off battery charger. The battery sat for 2 years with about the above treatment and it still work last summer.<br><br>If you can rotate it through your daily driver that would be nice for it as well.

"She's built like a steakhouse but she handles like a bistro"-Zapp Brannigan
“How hard can it be?”-Clarksonius 4th century BC.
I see you are circling the drain. It won't be long now.
Old 02/10/03, 12:43 PM   #6
Nuke

I might as well fix it since I have it apart.

Raleigh

[quote author=Broncobowsher link=board=5;threadid=14185;start=0#106680 date=1044902595]<br>Trickle chargers are a slow murder. I have seen countless batteries die on a trickle charger. <br><br>My yellow top boat battery has spent a lot of it's live in the garage. It gets a top off every couple of months from an automatic shut off battery charger. The battery sat for 2 years with about the above treatment and it still work last summer.<br>[/quote]<br><br>An &quot;automatic shut off battery charger&quot; is a trickle charger. :
Old 02/10/03, 02:02 PM   #7
Jeep Slayer
Bronco Guru

FORD man all the way, 65 mustang,67 Bronco,02 exploer sport trac 2002 F-150

Wildomar California

My Gallery

I drive my bronco at least one a week so no prob on it but My 65 mustang restro project sits for mounths with out being started, I keep a trickle charger on it and it always starts, If you let the rig sit without running it and have a problum with it not starteing than I recomend one of thease it will give a charge when needed and turns off the chargeing when the batt is at full charge. cool little item and well worth the $$$

DREAM BIG AND DARE TO FAIL
Old 02/10/03, 04:07 PM   #8
Broncobowsher
Bronco Guru

Adapt and overcome

Maricopa, AZ

[quote author=Nuke link=board=5;threadid=14185;start=0#106696 date=1044906236]<br>[quote author=Broncobowsher link=board=5;threadid=14185;start=0#106680 date=1044902595]<br>Trickle chargers are a slow murder. I have seen countless batteries die on a trickle charger. <br><br>My yellow top boat battery has spent a lot of it's live in the garage. It gets a top off every couple of months from an automatic shut off battery charger. The battery sat for 2 years with about the above treatment and it still work last summer.<br>[/quote]<br><br>An &quot;automatic shut off battery charger&quot; is a trickle charger. :<br>[/quote]<br>A trickle charger is a battery charger that has a very low output. Usually about 1 amp. It will keep charging the battery even when it is fully charged. Thus slowly cooing the battery to death.<br><br>The automatic shut off charger I have has 2 settings. A 2 amp and a 10 amp setting. Either one will turn off when the battery is fully charged. Not keep pumping energy into a fully charged battery. I still don’t leave the battery on the charge past the automatic shut off point (at least not much over a day anyway). <br><br>I had a weak battery I left on a trickle charger for a week once (did it over at a friend’s house). When I got back it was completely cooked. I knew it was weak before, but it would still work. When the charger was finished, it wouldn’t even light up a test light.<br><br>They do make trickle chargers with automatic shut off, but most of them I have found aren’t much better then a paperweight.<br><br>When an Optima is down, it likes to be hit hard with a lot of current, then topped off with a normal charger. How do I know this? I learned it from my uncle who is in the battery business. When I went to SEMA last year I talked to the Optima reps. They told me the same thing. <br><br>Another Optima trick, If it is really dead and the charger won’t recognize that it is hooked up to a battery. Run a set of jumper cables from the Optima/charger to another battery. The charger will sense the other battery and start running. After a little while, take off the jumper cables and the Optima will be taking in a charge.<br>

Old 02/10/03, 04:54 PM   #9
JMurray

Denver

I have a solar trickle charger on my Mustang, it plugs into the cigarette lighter &amp; I just point it to a nearby window. Its been working for a couple years.<br>I also start a couple of times a month.<br>Jerry

Going fishing boys. Everything else is illegal.
Old 02/10/03, 10:28 PM   #10
rednck21

Kennesaw, Georgia
eBay: rednck21

My Gallery

not trying to be a smart a$$ or anything but you said you have a orange top? sounds to me like your yellow top is really old and faded and probably needs to be replaced maybe?? :

69 uncut sport, 69 uncut

www.ecbr.us <---JOIN TODAY!
Old 02/10/03, 11:49 PM   #11
Sharkman

When the going gets tough, The tough- ah screw it.

Austin, Tx.

Drive it more.
Old 02/11/03, 06:59 AM   #12
Broncobowsher
Bronco Guru

Adapt and overcome

Maricopa, AZ

[quote author=rednck21 link=board=5;threadid=14185;start=0#106782 date=1044941289]<br>not trying to be a smart a$$ or anything but you said you have a orange top? sounds to me like your yellow top is really old and faded and probably needs to be replaced maybe?? : <br>[/quote]<br>Optima sold some orange tops. I think they are a group 34R instead of the standard group 34. All that is different is that the battery posts are swapped. The dealers were confusing the 34 and the 34R so they made the 34R in orange so the dealers would realize that there was a difference. Once again it pays to spend some time with the people who make them.

Old 02/11/03, 11:52 AM   #13
BwoncoHowie
C-4 Wizard

Orange County CA

My Gallery

I killed 2 DieHards in 3 years by not dirving it enough. I also found out that my alternator had 2 blown diodes (1 pos and 1 neg in the rectifier), so it was charging at 2/3 capacity. I drive it twice a month to once a week and use it to pick up parts before I work on it. I want an optima red but this DieHard range handler is going on it's second year and won't Die. The memory presets on my stereo combined with the alarm would run the battery down to near dead in a month if I didn't start it and drive it regularly.<br><br>BH

1973 Explorer, 302 2-V, C-4, 2.5" spring lift, Cut rear fenders, Dual exh. 3.50 gears, Fomoco traction-lock Rear, Dana limited-slip in the 44 up front.
Old 02/11/03, 12:59 PM   #14
66horse
Contributor
Bronco Guru

San Diego
eBay: sandcs

[quote author=rednck21 link=board=5;threadid=14185;start=0#106782 date=1044941289]<br>not trying to be a smart a$$ or anything but you said you have a orange top? sounds to me like your yellow top is really old and faded and probably needs to be replaced maybe?? : <br>[/quote]<br><br>I have an orange top too, its just a red top with the posts reversed.

Bartender Set em up are my favorite words...
San Diego Bankruptcy Attorney
San Diego Eviction Attorney
Old 02/11/03, 03:55 PM   #15

1.Check your alternator. You could be just running off your battery. 2. Check your regulator wires, make sure they are in the right place.

ClassicBroncos.com Forums > Archives > Bronco Chat - Archives