Bronco Hut  

Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts   Toms Bronco Parts   BC Broncos
Community
 Message Forum
 Photo Gallery
 Event Calendar
 Book Reviews
 Bronco Wallpaper
 Bronco FAQ

600+ Bronco Links!

Search all Bronco Links
Buy / Sell
 Classifieds / Want Ads
 Vendor Forum
James Duff
Rust Bullet
Sexton Offroad
Bronco Tech
Recent Tech Articles
 •Holley Carb Tips
 •Aussie Locker
 •C6 203 205 Doubler
 •4 Link
 •Clutch Replacement
 •Early Turn Signals
 •C4 Improvements
 •Threaded Dipstick
 •NV3550 5 spd
     More Tech...
Bronco Auctions
Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts

Welcome to the ClassicBroncos.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a GUEST which limits your access to viewing only. To take advantage of all the forum features please take a moment to register. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact the admin. If you've lost your password click here.

Go Back   ClassicBroncos.com Forums > Archives > Bronco Chat - Archives

Old 04/10/03, 05:55 AM   #1
Blue71
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Broncos Rule!

Johnson City, TN
Inner fender, kick panel replacement and painting?

I am getting ready to replace the inner front fender, kick panel, and front door post. I just removed the whole front clip assembled together and have a few questions:

1. After getting everything welded and lined up, do you go ahead and paint the inner fender,kick panel, door post back area or paint them when yoiu paint the entire body.

2. Is it better to paint the exterior fenders and grill before they go back on, or paint them off of the vehicle as seperate pieces and assemble them and then put them back on. Put them back on a piecew at a time or assemble and mount the whole front clip like I took it off.? Just don't wanna scratch them trying to get them back together and lined up.

3. Do you paint the new mounting bolts that hold the fenders on or leave them bare stainless.

Just trying to figure out what order is the easiest and best way to paint and get everyhing back together.

Thanks Much,

Blue71

'69 Half Cab
'70 Wagon
'71 Stroppe Baja
'73 Sport
'74 Sport
'75 Wagon
'76 Explorer w/ Four Wheel Pop-up Camper
'77 Wagon
'77 Original Ranger, 76,000 mi

"Yes I Know, But When Do I Get To Drive That Thang"
Old 04/10/03, 06:47 AM   #2
Allen_69
Bronco Guru

Sugar Grove Pa
Re:Inner fender, kick panel replacement and painting?

I painted everything first with a weldable primer, assembled, welded, then Primed again, then shot it with a flat black finish coat (i.e. rustoleum )
http://209.158.24.7/~aerobb/img/lffo.jpg

Exterior pieces should be painted then installed, don't worry about the stainless hardware. if you paint after the hardware is installed, you'll tear the finish coat if you ever have to remove them again.
Old 04/10/03, 06:53 AM   #3
brian72
Early Bronco Student

It is all back together and running good...Now time to upgrade stuff

Melbourne, Fl

Andrew or Allen or anyone else -
Does anyone have picutres before, during and after a front door post replacement?

thanks
brian

Time and Money - That's All It Takes...Seems I am short of both !
BcBroncos 3.5" / 1" body lift, 35x12.5 BFG, 3spd,302 (for now) with Holley T/A 470.
Old 04/10/03, 10:25 AM   #4
Allen_69
Bronco Guru

Sugar Grove Pa

before:
http://209.158.24.7/~aerobb/img/lscp.jpg
during:
http://209.158.24.7/~aerobb/img/lside1.jpg
after:
http://209.158.24.7/~aerobb/img/lffo.jpg
Old 04/10/03, 03:49 PM   #5
Blue71
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Broncos Rule!

Johnson City, TN

Allen,

was it hard to get the hinge post where it goes so the doors lined up correctly. I am afraid when i take the post out ,I won't be able to get it where it needs to be for the door to fir perfect. Also, did the inner fender and kick panel go back in exactly where they were before so that your fender attaches correctly on topof your inner fender and also attaches correctly to the door post. My front hinge post and kick panel are mostly gone, so is there a way to figure out where to tack the hinge post to get it in the right place? Sorry for the long post.

Thanks Much,

Blue71

'69 Half Cab
'70 Wagon
'71 Stroppe Baja
'73 Sport
'74 Sport
'75 Wagon
'77 Wagon

Old 04/10/03, 04:21 PM   #6
BlueBronco

Asheville, NC

ACK!! Allen 69 you scared me with that cut away shot!

I wasn't so brave.. I tacked a couple of steele braces under the windshild/dash framing to the floorboard to hold the frame in its proper place so that it didn't sag. Therefore, it was my hope, my measurements for door hinges, width of opening, squareness of engine compartment all stayed the same. Never doing any type of body work before I guess I was a bit paranoid.

I wish I could say I know the ultimate outcome, but I can't as we are still cutting away rusted areas on the truck, but the whole inner front end is new as well as both door hinge posts and both the driver and passanger footwell pans. The passanger side door strike plate is cut out at the moment.

Oh, the door does work fine in the driver side opening useing this method. Sorry no pic's to share

77' Blue Bronco
Undergoing frame off

If we shadows have offended, think but this and all is mended. You have but slumbered here, while these visions did appear.
Old 04/10/03, 06:16 PM   #7
Allen_69
Bronco Guru

Sugar Grove Pa

Couple of tricks, first Measure, measure, measure. then write all the numbers along with a sketch on paper. measure the top of the door opening, the bottom across the interior, you get the picture. Next cut a piece of wood that just wedges between the bottom of the dash and the floor so when everyting is apart it won't sag. then tack weld everything into place just enough to support everything. Put the doors on, put the fender on and look at the alignment. then massage the pieces as necessary to make the seams all line up. then take off the door and the fender and finish up the welds. and paint. It may take time, so don't rush it. It was my first "major" body work (other than panels) and it came out really well.
Old 04/10/03, 09:33 PM   #8
Blue71
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Broncos Rule!

Johnson City, TN

Thanks Allen,

I 'm gonna give it a go next week i hope.

By the way...Where did you get your inner fenders, kick panels, etc...? Were you happy with the fit?

Thanks Again,

Andy

'69 Half Cab
'70 Wagon
'71 Stroppe Baja
'73 Sport
'74 Sport
'75 Wagon
'77 Wagon

Old 04/11/03, 05:22 AM   #9
Allen_69
Bronco Guru

Sugar Grove Pa

I got them at Jeff's, and yes I'm happy with the fit, but that doesn't mean that I didn't have to "adjust" a few areas. Just remember you have to break a few eggs to make an omlet

ClassicBroncos.com Forums > Archives > Bronco Chat - Archives