Bronco Hut  

Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts   Toms Bronco Parts   BC Broncos
Community
 Message Forum
 Photo Gallery
 Event Calendar
 Book Reviews
 Bronco Wallpaper
 Bronco FAQ

600+ Bronco Links!

Search all Bronco Links
Buy / Sell
 Classifieds / Want Ads
 Vendor Forum
Rust Bullet
Bronco Tech
Recent Tech Articles
 •Holley Carb Tips
 •Aussie Locker
 •C6 203 205 Doubler
 •4 Link
 •Clutch Replacement
 •Early Turn Signals
 •C4 Improvements
 •Threaded Dipstick
 •NV3550 5 spd
     More Tech...
Bronco Auctions

Welcome to the ClassicBroncos.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a GUEST which limits your access to viewing only. To take advantage of all the forum features please take a moment to register. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact the admin. If you've lost your password click here.

Go Back   ClassicBroncos.com Forums > Archives > Bronco Chat - Archives

Old 05/11/04, 05:51 PM   #1
Unregistered

Who makes the best 302 to 347 stroker kit & where to get it?

In the next few months, I will be getting the engine and tranny rebuilt. I am thinking of getting the 302 stroked to 347 for some extra power. Who makes the best kit and where do I get for a good price? I want to keep the 302 because it fits and I don't want the hassle of finding a 351 or worring about cores.

Anyone help here?

Old 05/11/04, 06:30 PM   #2
2badrotties
Just a Bronco guy !

BEWARE of DOGS !

Niskayuna N.Y.
Coast high performance in California makes some nice stuff and they use mostly Probe industries parts. Pick up a Muscle Mustangs / Fast Ford magazine and you will find a LOT of people selling kits.
Old 05/11/04, 10:50 PM   #3
Jeff B

One of these days I'm going to learn how to fix this thing!

Wilmington, NC
Anyone else have any suggestions?
Old 05/11/04, 11:10 PM   #4
erock

Minnesota
www.strokerkits.com

www.rpmmachine.com

Last edited by erock; 05/13/04 at 11:02 AM..
Old 05/12/04, 07:21 AM   #5
ballistic64

The Gravity is Always Greener on the Other Side of the Hill

Piedmont , SD
Ford- 351W
Old 05/12/04, 07:40 AM   #6
wildbill
Contributor
Old Bronco Guy

Broncos Rule! WildBill's 66

Topeka Kansas USA
Thumbs up

If you are going to all that Y not just build a good 351W and be done with it you can have more HP and more torque and it will be less $$$$ good luck with your choice. Bill
Old 05/12/04, 08:42 AM   #7
Broncobowsher
Bronco Guru

Adapt and overcome

Maricopa, AZ
The 351 is a much better choice then a 347. It isnít about the 4 cubic inches either. Itís about the bigger bearings, bigger main bolts, bigger head bolts, longer rods.

There are reasons ford went through all the development to make the 351 instead of just throwing in a different crank in the little 302. If the 347 was such a great engine, Ford would have saved millions by not developing the 351 and all the refinments that go with it.

there are places that a 347 are good. If you have a late model mustang and have a bunch of money tied up in external parts for the 302, if you are wanting to make a sick little sunbeam tiger, doing a 5.0 ranger, basicly a tight engine compartment that wonít fit a 351.

Whatís better, an engine that is stressed to the edge of its life or an engine that is basicly stock? and they make the same power...
Old 05/12/04, 09:02 AM   #8
mtn_bronco

Leadville, Colorado
But a 351W won't fit under a stock hood, no body lift with SEFI will it?

1977 stocker sport, try number 2 get painted
Old 05/12/04, 10:51 AM   #9
71sport408

Strokers make me happy

Mandan

My Gallery
My 408 is all coast/probe stuff. I have been very happy with the motor and their parts. Good stuff.
Old 05/12/04, 06:58 PM   #10
Unregistered

Okay, for the 351W fans I certainly see your point. It's more hassle for sure but probably worth it in the long run. So, my next questions would be, what's the best choice from here?

Get a crate motor (where to get it?) or find one in a local junk yard and have someone rebuilt it?

What should I watch out for if I have to buy a crate motor or search for one in junk yard?

Thanks again.

Old 05/12/04, 07:06 PM   #11
bronco977

I drive WAY too fast to worry about my cholesterol

Bakersfield
347s have the piston pin up under the oil ring groove. It's not a problem if you're running a mustang race car that you tear down every season, but in a hard pulling daily driver it will use oil excessively. If you are intent on one, I'd go with a 331 from Central Coast Mustang. They even have package deals with GT40P heads and such. They are located here in Cali as well, and are really nice folks to work with.
Old 05/12/04, 08:35 PM   #12
71sport408

Strokers make me happy

Mandan

My Gallery
Probe has taken the oil burning into account and designed their pistons around this
Old 05/12/04, 11:03 PM   #13
SteveL
sawzall tech

66 &72 w/351, 4spd, 4whl disc.

Hawthorne, ca
it would be easier to steer you toward a good shop if you posted your location. I would go with a rebuild before a crate. Crate motors are good if you buy the high dollar or factory ones but they usually come with a higher rpm cam in em. The people I know who bought the cheaper crate motors from like kragen or economy places had alot of problems getting one that runs right.
Old 05/13/04, 11:33 AM   #14
70 EB Chicago

I am also trying to decide what to do with my engine. I have been waiting for a number of months to make a decision, but can't commit to anything. I have a stock 302 and have been considering having a crate 302 remanufactured dropped in. Because I live in the city and can't do it myself, I like the 7 yr warranty I can get with the crate (and hopefully few hassles). Hopefully I can find a shop in Chicago that knows what the hell they are doing!

Old 05/13/04, 12:53 PM   #15
Broncobowsher
Bronco Guru

Adapt and overcome

Maricopa, AZ
As far as I know, Coast High Performance is the only one who has done anything about the oil consumption issues. They run a short rod (5.315" instead of the normal 5.400") then the other 347 strokers. This allows them to gain enough room for a real oil ring.

Personally I don't like short rods, I am running a long rod (6.120") in my stock stroke 351. The 5.0 Stroker I will be building soon for a Ranger (difficult to package a 351 in there) will only be a 331. One of the reasons I really like the 331 is that I get almost 0.400 longer rod and ľ" of stroke over the original 302.

ClassicBroncos.com Forums > Archives > Bronco Chat - Archives