• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Stroppe?

jbeyer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
new york city
it would be nicer if it hadnt been repainted, and the tailgate didnt need to be tied shut. but any stroppe would be nice if the preice was right.

1975stroppebaja

Bronco Guru
TexasBronco said:
I didn't read it all but the tag itself shows sport...and that fact that there aren't dual shocks in the front.

Actually, it is a real Stroppe. The VIN tag has the correct markings (no color code, 6 digit DSO) and the VIN # is 15 places behind mine. Not all Baja's had the Baja decal on the fender. Andrew told me once that nearly half of the ones he's owned had the Sport emblem. Mine had the Sport emblem. Also, if you look closer at the pics you can see the dual shock mounts on the front, even though he's only running one shock. Plus there's quite a bit of poppy red to be had under that other paint.

Now for the bad news. Its missing almost all of the Stroppe options. Different steering wheel, no spare tire/cover, no hitch, no bumper braces (take a close look at the bumper, no bolts near the outer edges), no cactus smasher, wrong wheels. I think all that's left are the shock mounts, front & rear fender trim, and the maybe the rollbar.

Its listed on here in the Broncos for sale section.

http://www.classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56848&highlight=stroppe

and, its up to $8100 right now on ebay! :eek:

Last edited:

Baja71

Bronco Guru
TexasBronco said:
I didn't read it all but the tag itself shows sport...and that fact that there aren't dual shocks in the front.

All Stroppes started as Sports.

OP
OP
B

broncoswede61

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Los Angeles,CA
What I want to know is what kind of a knumbskull would paint it maroon?Seems like it will take a lot more $$$$ to restore it to Baja.....what a shame.

Blue71

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Baja71 said:
All Stroppes started as Sports.

I have seen all them as Sports except one. That one was in the movie "Eiger Sanction" and it had the Ranger houndstooth interior instead of the Sport. Think it was the spice color. Door panels , seats and all. Did you Stroppe guys see it???? Kinda neat!!!

Blue71

1975stroppebaja

Bronco Guru
broncoswede61 said:
What I want to know is what kind of a knumbskull would paint it maroon?Seems like it will take a lot more $$$$ to restore it to Baja.....what a shame.

Could be the same guy that painted mine primer gray %)

http://www.frontiernet.net/~jmray/Bronco4.jpg

Blue71 said:
I have seen all them as Sports except one. That one was in the movie "Eiger Sanction" and it had the Ranger houndstooth interior instead of the Sport. Think it was the spice color. Door panels , seats and all. Did you Stroppe guys see it???? Kinda neat!!!

Blue71

Oh yeah that was a great movie. There are some really great shots of that Bronco if you watch it a bunch. I recommend the DVD ;D It was quite an odd Baja with the Ranger package and such. I think there was a thread a while back about it (Bronco and Shotgun, maybe?)

DownhillManiac99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Orange County CA
Blue71 said:

Blue71

Nothing like a Bronco and a shotgun!
clint8ah.png

broncolove

The Bronco Ranch
Loc.
S.E. Michigan
The only options it does seem to have is the Dual shocks, No push bar, No Roll Bar, Steering wheel Not original, The good thing it does have going for it is the VIN # and DSO and it looks fairly solid.

Baja71

Bronco Guru
broncolove said:
The only options it does seem to have is the Dual shocks, No push bar, No Roll Bar, Steering wheel Not original, The good thing it does have going for it is the VIN # and DSO and it looks fairly solid.

Remember, these were all OPTIONS. You didn't have to get all or nothing. You could pick and choose like an ala carte menu.

Baja71

Bronco Guru
Blue71 said:

Blue71

Can you see the fender badge? Does it say Sport? This was apparently customized somewhat and they may have swapped in a Ranger interior, or someone could have brought a Ranger directly to Stroppe for a full makeover, namely the studio. Customizing vehicles for motion pictures is very common. That chrome Cactus Smasher was available over the counter, but I don't see why you couldn't upgrade it to chrome on your order. All speculation at this point.

If you ordered a Stroppe Baja from a Ford dealership directly, it was a Sport.

broncolove

The Bronco Ranch
Loc.
S.E. Michigan
Baja71 said:
Remember, these were all OPTIONS. You didn't have to get all or nothing. You could pick and choose like an ala carte menu.

Just seems pretty basic, I thought they all came with the Steering wheel .

1975stroppebaja

Bronco Guru
broncolove said:
Just seems pretty basic, I thought they all came with the Steering wheel .

Yeah, I would be willing to bet the stuff is just gone. According to Andrew's page the Baja Bronco standard package included: dual shock mounts F&R, rear fender trim/flares, slots or painted steel wheel, gates tires, bumper braces, trailer hitch, rollbar, spare tire cover, steering wheel, front fender trim, and the baja badge.

At least this stuff should've been there at one time. These trucks were highly configurable by the buyer so I suppose a person could indeed delete all the cool options if they wanted to...?

I don't know why some didn't get the Baja badge on the fender but its common.

Baja71

Bronco Guru
1975stroppebaja said:
Yeah, I would be willing to bet the stuff is just gone. According to Andrew's page the Baja Bronco standard package included: dual shock mounts F&R, rear fender trim/flares, slots or painted steel wheel, gates tires, bumper braces, trailer hitch, rollbar, spare tire cover, steering wheel, front fender trim, and the baja badge.

At least this stuff should've been there at one time. These trucks were highly configurable by the buyer so I suppose a person could indeed delete all the cool options if they wanted to...?

I don't know why some didn't get the Baja badge on the fender but its common.

You could be right. Rubber on the steering wheel wears out, bumpers and bumper braces get bent, etc. Slowly it all gets replaced. However, you could get a Baja without that stuff, directly from Ford, as well. Pick and choose. That Phase One stuff was a package.