Bronco Hut  

Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts   Toms Bronco Parts   BC Broncos
Community
 Message Forum
 Photo Gallery
 Event Calendar
 Book Reviews
 Bronco Wallpaper
 Bronco FAQ

600+ Bronco Links!

Search all Bronco Links
Buy / Sell
 Classifieds / Want Ads
 Vendor Forum
James Duff
Rust Bullet
Sexton Offroad
Bronco Tech
Recent Tech Articles
 •Holley Carb Tips
 •Aussie Locker
 •C6 203 205 Doubler
 •4 Link
 •Clutch Replacement
 •Early Turn Signals
 •C4 Improvements
 •Threaded Dipstick
 •NV3550 5 spd
     More Tech...
Bronco Auctions
Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts

Welcome to the ClassicBroncos.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a GUEST which limits your access to viewing only. To take advantage of all the forum features please take a moment to register. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact the admin. If you've lost your password click here.

Go Back   ClassicBroncos.com Forums > Archives > Bronco Chat - Archives

Old 01/21/05, 08:49 AM   #1
ProjectBronco70

Tennessee sounds good to me

Tennessee

My Gallery
3.5 lift or 4.5 lift 35 or 36 inch tires

I don't want to beat a dead horse to death (no pun intended) but I am debating which type of lift to put on a 3.5 inch or a 4.5 inch. I will not be adding a body lift. My tire choices are probably going to be 35 or 36 inch. I am trying to avoid having to lengthen or add new driveshafts. I will probably be using my rig for 80% street and 20% trail.
Old 01/21/05, 09:01 AM   #2
Merlin76
Contributor

'70 build-up in progress...

STL
I have 3.5" suspension and 2" Body lift on mine with 36" Super Swampers....
Old 01/21/05, 09:14 AM   #3
71 BRNCO

Towson, Maryland
I greatly debated this same question concerning what size lift and tire to choose. I ended up purchasing a 4.5" lift. I went with 4.5" BC Broncos front Coils, 4.5" Wild Horses 11 leaf rear springs, F-250 front shock mounts, and cross enterprises rear inboard shock hoop. With 33's the truck has to much lift and didn't look right to me, so I upgraded to 35" Goodyear MTR's. I think that I am going to slap a one inch WH body lift on to finish the package. I have standard flares but with warflares I think I could run 36's and still have good clearance. my truck is a street truck so no need to go bigger then 35's .No pictures here at work right now, maybe I can get you one tomorrow or something. Let me know if you have any questions.
Kyle

'71 BRONCO SPORT. BUILT 302. REBUILT DANA 20, TOM WOOD DRIVESHAFT. 35" MTR. PROTOFAB REAR. 4.5" WH/BCB LIFT. CUSTOM 6 PT CAGE.
Old 01/21/05, 09:23 AM   #4
eds66bronco
Bronco Guru

2nd Amendment - The Original Homeland Security

Essex, Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectBronco70
I don't want to beat a dead horse to death (no pun intended) but I am debating which type of lift to put on a 3.5 inch or a 4.5 inch. I will not be adding a body lift. My tire choices are probably going to be 35 or 36 inch. I am trying to avoid having to lengthen or add new driveshafts. I will probably be using my rig for 80% street and 20% trail.
if you dont want drivetrain mods then a 3.5 or more susp lift will need longer shafts if you plan on flexing any offroad and i wouldn't go any more than a 3 inch body lift but that alone still won't fit 36's unless you own a body saw. i have a 3.5 and 2 inch body and will be going with 36"

1966, 5.0efi, np435, centerforce df, duffs 3.5, hydroboost, 4Wdisc, detroits/4.56, 36 12.5 15 tsl radials, bulletproof tro
Old 01/21/05, 10:17 AM   #5
ProjectBronco70

Tennessee sounds good to me

Tennessee

My Gallery
Thanks Kyle for the information, I look forward to seeing a picture.
Old 01/21/05, 10:48 AM   #6
Socal Tom
Bronco Guru

Everything I know about EBs I learned here.

San Diego, CA
eBay: tlgreen2

My Gallery
I'm running a 3 1/2 suspension lift ( bC front coils and WH leafs). I am running 35 inch MTRs. My cutouts use all that the gorrilla warflares allow without bending them. THe fronts are fine, but the rears rub hard when I get twisted up. This is with the lowered rear bump stops. You'll get the same thing with a 4 1/2 inch suspension lift unless you limit the uptravel. My suggestion is to go with the WH 1 inch body lift bushings, and a 3 1/2 inch lift.
Tom
Old 01/21/05, 12:11 PM   #7
RajinCajun
Contributor
Bronco Guru

My Tonka Toy Grew Up!

HawleyTX, La orig.

My Gallery
I have 5.5" suspension lift, no body lift as of yet(that may change because of engine/hood clearance) Check my gallery to see how well my 35x14.50-15 Boggers clear even when flexed...the suspension is still tight and doesn't flex great, but I have had no problems rubbing and I still have not cut the fenders out, I just pulled the stock flares because they were shot and haven't put any others on yet.

70 Bronco, Full Custom Cage (by Me), 90 Mustang HO EFI 302, Ryan's Harness, ArtCarr full comp C-4, Dana 20 w/PTO Winch/ 05' SD D60/10.50, H1's reworked, 39.5 Boggers
Mike Strickland, Web Master- www.BigCountryOff-Road.com
Old 01/21/05, 12:17 PM   #8
Jeepincj7

Check out Broncoholics.com!

Lake Elsinore, CA

My Gallery
I ran 5.5" of lift with no driveshaft changes at all and I wheeled the hell out it. I since did a tranny tcase swap that did require new shafts, but I have found that in most cases you don't need to get new driveshafts. Most parts houses recommend it because it allows them to make some more $$$.

I know run 4.5" BC winch springs up front and 5.5" National springs in the rear. I sit completely level, and ran this setup as well with stock shafts before my drivetrain swap.

Scotty
72' Sport. 302, Truck Avenger carb, NV4500, Atlas 4.3, 5.13s, detroits, 36" Iroks, Champion Beadlocks, Superiors, CTMs, F150 4x4 box, TRO. yada, yada, yada....
www.broncoholics.com
My RigRater Score: 1002RRv1.0 with a BOA of 28.27
Old 01/21/05, 12:30 PM   #9
komodo72
Contributor

Germantown, TN

My Gallery
I have a 5.5 inch lift and I had to change my driveshaft in the rear. But then again these trucks are 30 years old and theres no telling what PO have done to them... everyone is a little different now.

A red 1972 with to many expensive parts...

ClassicBroncos.com Forums > Archives > Bronco Chat - Archives