• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rock Lites Mass Buy (expires 2/2/06)

74BroncoCO

Bronco Guru
What do you think of These? For $30 you get 4 fixtures and I am trying to see if he'll ship me 8 fixtures for $40. These would seem to work well since they are:
#1 LED's (lower power usage)
#2 Waterproof
#3 Fixtures give an array of light

I would place a fixture in front and behind of each tire.

How would you wire something like that on a switch?

Thanks!

J.D.

Last edited:

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
Those look pretty darn cool. I've got the cheap-o lights from Northern Tool, and they draw a whopping 55w a piece!

That's a smokin good deal on LED's. Keep us posted if he'll do it, I may be in for that.

broncotime

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grapevine, Texas
I want a set too! I've been looking for something like that for my rock lights. Please post whatever you find out. I would want 8 pods for my truck.

Glenn

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
I found them in white!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CUST...cmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33713QQitemZ8016726064

To answer your question about how to wire them, I'd use a relay, just because I'm wacky that way, but I'd do the output on a distribution block to each of the locations (or at least each corner of the truck)

Assuming 2 at each corner: Solder 2 of those together to a 16 ga back to the distribution block (near the relay), and you're golden. Once they're all wired in, pull an amp load (you'll need an ammeter for this) and size your fuse that way. I'd take my max amp load, and add 25% for the fuse size so they get some protection.

Last edited:

68 Broncoholic

Bronco Guru
Loc.
WA
I don't think that perticular brand is bright enough for rock lights. Plus you wouldn't want colors. There are some out there that do well. Infact the last show of Extreme 4x4 TV showed a decent type to use. Can't recall as I already have 6 55w under mine and love what they provide. I almost would rather wheel at night these days. Less vehicles on the trails and if I break down I don't have to worry about leaving my rig! ;D

OP
OP

74BroncoCO

Bronco Guru
I think they'd be bright enough. Sure they're not going to night to day, but if you haven't been staring at headlights and your eyes are adjusted to night, they'd be plenty IMO.

47_1_b.JPG

I think I like the blue, but I am not sure how blue would look on rocks and the sort.

I will let you guys know what I find out. I have not told him we have other people interested. When I hear from him, I will let him know that at least two other guys are interested...maybe that'll seal the deal??

J.D.

Broncitis

MEB Founder
I don't think those LED's will throw enough light for my taste. I like things such as rock lights and my work shop to be VERY bright. I looked at and tested many different LEDs for MTFIT's rig, and used some various LEDs throughout the rig, but for the rock lights I chose some inexpensive low profile driving lights from a local chain parts store. About $20-$30 a pair and they work well.

From what I've seen, LED technological advancements have not yet come up with a good white, bright, wide angle option that is affordable.

Many of the high intensity white LED reverse light clusters for trailers and semis are $75-$100+ each. Those would likely work great, but the cost is the limiting factor for most of us when weighed against other more conventional options.

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
68 Broncoholic said:
I don't think that perticular brand is bright enough for rock lights. Plus you wouldn't want colors. There are some out there that do well. Infact the last show of Extreme 4x4 TV showed a decent type to use. Can't recall as I already have 6 55w under mine and love what they provide. I almost would rather wheel at night these days. Less vehicles on the trails and if I break down I don't have to worry about leaving my rig! ;D

The downside to the lights they show on the show, is the price, I can't afford ~$30 per pod for lights. I've looked at the ones that Roundeyes offers, and they're nice, but expensive.
http://www.roundeyes.com/product_info.php?products_id=8372&osCsid=2f4fd292a1fb70a3f301a89893de15fa

OP
OP

74BroncoCO

Bronco Guru
Gummi Bear said:
The downside to the lights they show on the show, is the price, I can't afford ~$30 per pod for lights. I've looked at the ones that Roundeyes offers, and they're nice, but expensive.
http://www.roundeyes.com/product_info.php?products_id=8372&osCsid=2f4fd292a1fb70a3f301a89893de15fa

That's what I was looking for on ebay, but I can't come up with the right keyword. I am pretty sure I have seen some like that on ebay. The ones I posted aren't ideal for mounting...so if we could find something similar to the array'ed LED's with mounting brackets, that would be the ticket.

J.D.

crawln68

Bronco Guru
Seems like the white ones would make nice interior lights too. They should be very easy to mount to your roll cage.

OP
OP

74BroncoCO

Bronco Guru
Response to 8 pods

"I would go with WHITE to be used at night for seeing

I can do 8 WHITE 5LED for $49 shipped

You will be able to see pretty good at night with these front and back"

I asked him about a mass buy, so we'll see what he says. $49 isn't too bad. It may be as low as he'll go.

J.D.

TJK74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newark CA
I don't know I personally would want more light than that. The pic of the white ones on the bathroom floor nect to the toilet are about 16" away from the wall and the wall and surounding area is dimly lit.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
TJK74 said:
I don't know I personally would want more light than that. The pic of the white ones on the bathroom floor nect to the toilet are about 16" away from the wall and the wall and surounding area is dimly lit.
I agree. I have 2 utility lights. One under each rocker and they throw enough light that I can see and work on anything underneath.

bsaunder

Bronco Guru
I've been checking out the LEDs myself - I have a pair from RoundEyes White Ultimate LED and a pair from SuperBrightLEDs Luxart White on the way. I'm planning on setting them up under my Bronco and comparing them to each other and to a pair of checker cheepo fog lights I have been running (and breaking a lot). I recieved the SuperBrightLED version last night, and I have to say I am very impressed with how bright it is. Supposedly the roundeyes version is even brighter.

I also ordered a ALM series Accent Light Module and ALM-RB Accent Light Module from SuperbrightLeds, and they may work for interior or glovebox lighting, but not for rock lights

Bronco Wild

Loc.
Nubraska
SaddleUp said:
I agree. I have 2 utility lights. One under each rocker and they throw enough light that I can see and work on anything underneath.

Can you post a pic? I'm searching now and recommended location.

welndmn

Bronco Guru
bsaunder said:
I've been checking out the LEDs myself - I have a pair from RoundEyes White Ultimate LED and a pair from SuperBrightLEDs Luxart White on the way. I'm planning on setting them up under my Bronco and comparing them to each other and to a pair of checker cheepo fog lights I have been running (and breaking a lot). I recieved the SuperBrightLED version last night, and I have to say I am very impressed with how bright it is. Supposedly the roundeyes version is even brighter.

I also ordered a ALM series Accent Light Module and ALM-RB Accent Light Module from SuperbrightLeds, and they may work for interior or glovebox lighting, but not for rock lights
Awesome, I have been waiting to buy some until i saw a comparo

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Bronco Wild said:
Can you post a pic? I'm searching now and recommended location.
Here is one that shows the location fairly well. If you look closely you can see the mount towards the front where they are mounted to the backside of the body mount coming off the frame. The other side is mounted to the same spot.

Attachments

• SaddleUp161.jpg
    SaddleUp161.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 96
OP
OP

74BroncoCO

Bronco Guru
If you want cool you could do RED BLUE GREEN

RGB what you are looking at the screen .WHen you mix all thoes colors you get white output

I can give you a better deal as follows:

buy 40 (any color) RED BLUE GREEN OR WHITE

I can do $220 SHIPPED

Ok, here we are. He quoted me $49 for 8 pods shipped. By the figures above, he dropped the price down to $44 for 8 pods. We need 5 people wanting 8 pods each in order to get the deal. I know there were two interested are there any more? I would be willing to paypal him the money, after I have collected it all from everyone else. I would setup a sheet saying who wants what color and shipped to where etc. to email to him.

Who's in? I have one more guy from another site that is interested, so that's 4, but I am not certain he wants 8 pods.

As mentioned earlier these could go for cargo lights, engine bay...

J.D.

Bronco Wild

Loc.
Nubraska
SaddleUp said:
Here is one that shows the location fairly well. If you look closely you can see the mount towards the front where they are mounted to the backside of the body mount coming off the frame. The other side is mounted to the same spot.

Are those the only two you have? Do they work ok and would you do anything different?

I think that's a great bang for the buck.