• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Disc Brakes vs. Drum Brakes

admin

Administrator
Just your friendly, neighborhood webmaster...
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
Following are typical pros & cons for both disc and drum brakes:

Drums
  • Pro - Less expensive since they're already stock on Broncos
  • Pro - Drums work better then discs as emergency brakes
  • Con - They stop poorly when wet and can get clogged with mud
  • Con - Stopping power can fade with repeated hard braking
  • Con - Larger tires

Discs
  • Pro - More consistant, straight line stopping power
  • Pro - Dissipate heat better to stay cooler
  • Pro - Less affected by water or mud
  • Pro - Easier to maintain and faster to replace pads then shoes
  • Con - More expensive to install (but maintenance costs should be less)

Most people will agree that discs are better than drums. However, stock drum brakes can be effective if they're in good working order and properly adjusted. Typically when people upgrade to disc brakes they're replacing worn out drums, so they see a vast improvement and are quick to credit their new disc brakes. Just keep in mind that when someone raves about their new disc setup some of it is due to simply having new parts.

Last edited:

AndyR

What are drum to disc parts sources and approx. cost of parts?
How many labor hrs. to R & R ?

Thanks

ctkd

Loc.
Griffin, GA.
Is anybody using a drum frt, and rear with a pwr booster ? My 74 stops ok with 33s just wondered if this would make it stop better?

swultra09

so i have disc on the front is it worth disc on back? also is a booster worth the dollars?

bugout75

Loc.
Auburn, ME
I was part of a bronco club back when I was a teenager and FINALLY got a chance to get another one. I just picked up a 1975 Bronco and was wondering if some of you may know what ford parts will swap onto these broncos?
Parts such as Disc Brake swaps and power boosters. What other cars will the parts interchange from?
Thanks!!

Neurosidafex

Proportioning valve issue. I have a 1973 uncut EB. Just finished restoration with conversion to discs front/drum rear with new MC and brake booster. However, I’m having an issue with front brake drag. The pistons are not releasing and I have burned through a set of brake pads. Calipers/pistons are not frozen. Any insights as to how to resolve this issue? Is there an adjustment that needs to be made to the valve?

MThalfcab

Contributor
Living the Poor Life
Loc.
Yaak, Montana
I know I'm way late in this conversation but I have a front conversion kit for my 74, I'm just wondering what the today's date for installment would run it anyone would happen to know!
Thanks