Bronco Hut  

Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts   Toms Bronco Parts   BC Broncos
Community
 Message Forum
 Photo Gallery
 Event Calendar
 Book Reviews
 Bronco Wallpaper
 Bronco FAQ

600+ Bronco Links!

Search all Bronco Links
Buy / Sell
 Classifieds / Want Ads
 Vendor Forum
Rust Bullet
Bronco Tech
Recent Tech Articles
 •Holley Carb Tips
 •Aussie Locker
 •C6 203 205 Doubler
 •4 Link
 •Clutch Replacement
 •Early Turn Signals
 •C4 Improvements
 •Threaded Dipstick
 •NV3550 5 spd
     More Tech...
Bronco Auctions

Welcome to the ClassicBroncos.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a GUEST which limits your access to viewing only. To take advantage of all the forum features please take a moment to register. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact the admin. If you've lost your password click here.

Go Back   ClassicBroncos.com Forums > Archives > Bronco Chat - Archives

Old 05/18/06, 05:29 PM   #1
DiggetyDan

Beverly

My Gallery
Can you mix 10w-30 and 10w40 motor oil?

I just came up from the garage - figured i'd do a quick oil change before heading out for a drive. I thought I had a box full of oil but forgot i had given the wife an oil change a couple weeks back. It turns out I have 2 quarts of 10W-30 and 2 quarts of 10W-40.

Would it damage the engine if I combined these two?
Old 05/18/06, 05:44 PM   #2
Apogee
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Cuz that's how I roll.

Tangent, OR
Nope...it'll give you about a 10W-35.

Did you know that 95% of all statistics are made up on the spot?
Old 05/18/06, 05:50 PM   #3
DiggetyDan

Beverly

My Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apogee
Nope...it'll give you about a 10W-35.
hehe, thanks apogee.
Old 05/18/06, 06:55 PM   #4
scottmcwms

Longhorns...You call it a mascot, we call it hamburger.

Montgomery, TX

My Gallery
It won't damage the engine if you change the oil again quickly. Never, Never, Never combine oils. Don't even use the same viscosity oil from different manufacturers. There are unique additives for each oil and sometimes they don't play well together when mixed. You will probably be OK, but why risk having to pay $1000 or so to overhaul an engine. Don't do it. Better safe than sorry.

Scott
Old 05/18/06, 07:07 PM   #5
Jeepster
Bronco Guru

syracuse
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmcwms
It won't damage the engine if you change the oil again quickly. Never, Never, Never combine oils. Don't even use the same viscosity oil from different manufacturers. There are unique additives for each oil and sometimes they don't play well together when mixed. You will probably be OK, but why risk having to pay $1000 or so to overhaul an engine. Don't do it. Better safe than sorry.

Scott
Are you serious?

If thats the case I've been flirting with disaster for years when i do my monthly *"Polish oil change"

*add a qt when low
Old 05/18/06, 07:12 PM   #6
Hogback

same here. Been doing that to my wifes car since it was new. It's never seen a wrench and it still purrs like a kitten at 200K miles.
now too bad the wife doesn't....
Old 05/19/06, 01:21 AM   #7
SaddleUp
BANNED

Nothing like a good stretch!

Vancouver, WA

My Gallery
I'll third that. I have my brand preference but I'll use whatever if necessary to keep oil in them.
Old 05/19/06, 01:29 AM   #8
rellimgneb

Reno, Nv
eBay: flynford
Honestly it's just oil. It just coats metal parts so they can slide on other metal parts without getting too hot. Mixem, matchem, do whatever you want as long as they are lubricated.

My life. The ever consuming object of my being.
http://classicbroncos.com/forums/sho...ht=1st+rebuild
Old 05/19/06, 02:02 AM   #9
astark
Contributor
Bronco God

Batesville Arkansas

My Gallery
Nice motor pic in your gallery

But I don't think four quarts is enough to change your oil anyway. So go get a case of Castrol 10-40 and a couple of Motor Craft filters

"Deep faith eliminates fear... on the trail" Michael Alan Stark April 14, 1990 - October 28, 2007 My Son, Best Friend and Wheeling Buddy.
Old 05/19/06, 04:10 AM   #10
TJK74
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Newark CA

My Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiggetyDan
I just came up from the garage - figured i'd do a quick oil change before heading out for a drive. I thought I had a box full of oil but forgot i had given the wife an oil change a couple weeks back. It turns out I have 2 quarts of 10W-30 and 2 quarts of 10W-40.

Would it damage the engine if I combined these two?
You will be fine with that. They will mix right in with each other and no harm will be done. Even if you were to mix syn with conventional you'll be fine. If you were to labratory test your oil it will read out as not a true 10w-30 but no harm will be done. Your good.
If your doing this in a pinch cause you need to add oil then go for it but if you can like stated above get yourself 6 or so quarts of what you need when you do it the first time

Last edited by TJK74; 05/19/06 at 04:41 AM..

74 Ranger, 69 351W, C4, 4:11s, 35"MTR's, 3'5"BC/WH, 2" Body, Duffs Stg II hoops/rear shock mounts, twin stick.
www.competitionoils.com
To Order AMSOIL
Old 05/19/06, 04:30 AM   #11
ken75ranger
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Troy, NY
eBay: ken_75

My Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by astark

I don't think four quarts is enough to change your oil anyway. So go get a case of Castrol 10-40 and a couple of Motor Craft filters
That's just what I was thinking!

'75 Ranger- with assorted parts
Old 05/19/06, 03:43 PM   #12
thegreatjustino
Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey

Wake up America. Before it's too late.

Stockton, CA
Garage
I've mixed oils before but always try to use the same viscosity for all six quarts. If you've ever seen two or more types of oil poured into a clear container, they will separate out. When they are running through the engine, I doubt that it's that big of a deal, but I wouldn't mix them intentionally on any kind of regular basis.

'When my Bronco is finished' is only a hypothetical statement.
Old 05/19/06, 04:25 PM   #13
commonlaw

Indecision may or may not be my problem...

Seattle
eBay: dahui2

My Gallery
Never had a problem mixing.

Also, I noticed that you are only putting 4 quarts in? Not sure of your set-up but that seems low.

"Lordy I have loved some ladies, and I have loved Jim Beam, and they both tried to kill me, in 1973."
Old 05/19/06, 07:28 PM   #14
astark
Contributor
Bronco God

Batesville Arkansas

My Gallery
I once mixed brand and viscosity, my shirt came out of the dryer wrinkled, I burnt some burgers on the barbeque, I ran out of toilet paper and then left my coupons at home when I went to the store.

Don't take a chance, you need to get more oil anyway and you might as well do it right, as that Bronco is your baby and it deserves the best you can provide.

If you take good care of your Bronco, it will take good care of you, and what you put into that relationship will be reciprocated.

"Deep faith eliminates fear... on the trail" Michael Alan Stark April 14, 1990 - October 28, 2007 My Son, Best Friend and Wheeling Buddy.
Old 05/20/06, 11:04 AM   #15
DiggetyDan

Beverly

My Gallery
here's a mystery

My oil level is showing full after only 3 quarts, it's on the higher side of the safe line. I've got a 302 which from the sound of it should take 6? I drained the oil out of the bottom plug - I did notice there was another plug closer to the front of the vehicle on the same pan, does that need to be drained also?

ClassicBroncos.com Forums > Archives > Bronco Chat - Archives