Bronco Hut  

Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts   Toms Bronco Parts   BC Broncos
Community
 Message Forum
 Photo Gallery
 Event Calendar
 Book Reviews
 Bronco Wallpaper
 Bronco FAQ

600+ Bronco Links!

Search all Bronco Links
Buy / Sell
 Classifieds / Want Ads
 Vendor Forum
Rust Bullet
Bronco Tech
Recent Tech Articles
 •Holley Carb Tips
 •Aussie Locker
 •C6 203 205 Doubler
 •4 Link
 •Clutch Replacement
 •Early Turn Signals
 •C4 Improvements
 •Threaded Dipstick
 •NV3550 5 spd
     More Tech...
Bronco Auctions

Welcome to the ClassicBroncos.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a GUEST which limits your access to viewing only. To take advantage of all the forum features please take a moment to register. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact the admin. If you've lost your password click here.

Go Back   ClassicBroncos.com Forums > Archives > Bronco Tech - Archives

Old 05/31/06, 05:28 AM   #1
JCook5003

ZF 5 Spd and NP205

I've been searching and reading posts about installing a ZF transmission into an EB and install a NP205 transfer case into an EB, I have an NP205 Transfer Case and can get a ZF transmission for about $200 in the yard in town, seems like the NP205 should bolt right up to the ZF and would eliminate the D20 weak link and the $500 adapter kit.

So has anyone ever done this? What else do I need to consider, other possibly a custom cross member?

Also will I need anything new to go with the ZF or will it bolt right in? I read something somewhere about a new master cylinder but dont understand why you would need that to go with a new transmission.......

Hope to get some good advice from everyone here.

Thanks

Josh
Old 05/31/06, 06:11 AM   #2
SaddleUp
BANNED

Nothing like a good stretch!

Vancouver, WA

My Gallery
The 205 should bolt right up. You will need to build a custom cross member for it though and work through the linkage to build a new shifter (Perhaps twin stick it). If you can get a 4WD ZF for $200 jump all over it. The master cylinder you need is for the clutch not the brakes. The ZF uses a hydraulic rather than mechanical clutch. This requires a clutch master cylinder on the firewall and then a slave cylinder on the tranny with a hydraulic line between them. FWIW, I was considering this swap at one point but I planned to do a 203 doubler at the same time.
Old 05/31/06, 06:33 AM   #3
JCook5003

So can you offer any advice on which master cylinder should work, should I grab the one off the donor truck or do I need an aftermarket part?
Old 05/31/06, 07:08 AM   #4
trailpsycho
Contributor
Bronco Guru

Indianapolis
Make sure its not a 2WD ZF. Thats all I was able to find around here. The tranny rebuilders/remanufacturers tend to get them well before the trucks ever hit the yard. Good luck. Check out BC Broncos, they have some parts for adapting the ZF into a Bronco (crossmember, slave/master cylinder kits, etc.).
Old 05/31/06, 07:35 AM   #5
SaddleUp
BANNED

Vancouver, WA

My Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCook5003
So can you offer any advice on which master cylinder should work, should I grab the one off the donor truck or do I need an aftermarket part?
Personally I would try to use the stock one from the truck first.
Old 05/31/06, 07:54 AM   #6
JCook5003

The stock bronco unit or the unit from the truck I am pulling the Transmission from? Also I know it's a 4x4 truck the unit is still in it
Old 05/31/06, 08:14 AM   #7
SaddleUp
BANNED

Vancouver, WA

My Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCook5003
The stock bronco unit or the unit from the truck I am pulling the Transmission from? Also I know it's a 4x4 truck the unit is still in it
There isn't a stock bronco unit. The Bronco used mechanical linkage for the clutch rather than hydraulic.
Old 05/31/06, 09:03 AM   #8
daddyg
Contributor
Bronco Parts Collector

Bronco Master Wannabe

Harvest, AL

My Gallery
What SaddleUp is saying is that you will have two master cylinders. One for the clutch and one for the brakes. Get the clutch master cylinder from the donor truck.

74 - (Smokey) Trail rig owned for 26 years
76 - (Spirit) Street / Trails
73 Ranger - (Ricky) All stock
Old 05/31/06, 09:09 AM   #9
JCook5003

oh ok gotcha, I understand now, the more I think about it the more this swap seems possible.
Old 11/13/06, 09:21 PM   #10
hammer
Bronco Guru

Broncos eh?

Abbotsford, B.C.
eBay: hmr_tym

My Gallery
So JCook did you get this done. Found this old post in a search because its the exact question I was looking to ask. I knew about the master cylinder, but I'm interested as to how you made out with np205. I've heard that its to wide to fit between the eb's framerails. I don't understand why anyone would pay that kind of money to mate their d20 up to the zf if this is easy. I'm kinda in the opposite position where I already have a 4wd zf, just wondering if the np205 is my way to go.
Old 11/14/06, 06:08 PM   #11
MpCrewcab

The Ford Truck Doctor

Jefferson, WI
zf-205

I have a zf and a 205 in a bronco I am building I will see if we have any pics of it. The 205 just bolted on but had to trim a little for the shift rails but the 205 fits perfect but not any room to spare and I used the tcase mount from the 79 bronco just flipped it. Mike
Old 11/15/06, 12:04 AM   #12
hammer
Bronco Guru

Broncos eh?

Abbotsford, B.C.
eBay: hmr_tym

My Gallery
So are you running tranny and t-case crossmembers? I've seen some pics on here of guys using the side mount of the np205.
Old 11/15/06, 03:37 PM   #13
daj

No one seemed to mention the ZF must be out of a small block 351 or a I-6.I have found loads of them for the 460s.
d
Old 08/07/08, 04:48 AM   #14
z-one311

Payson, Utah
eBay: z-one311

My Gallery
ZF swap!

I just sold one and have another i am selling. It will bolt right up to the 205 but you have to modify the rear of the zf jsut a little bit to make the shift linkage work like original. Or you can change you shift linkage on the 205 and thats it. It is the same spline count as the 205 transfer case input. And all of the zf trans will fit the 205. The 5.8/7.3/7.5, 302/351/460/7.3 deisel. But the only one that will work ing your bronco set up with the 302/351 is the one out of a 5.8/5.0 f250/f350! i am selling this one for 600 plus 150 shipping!
Old 08/08/08, 08:28 AM   #15
JB Fab
Sponsor/Vendor

The doctor said "if it hurts, don't do it"

Salem, Oregon
Here are a couple of pictures that one of our customers sent us of that combo with our stainless NP-205 twin-sticks....
Jon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1040002.jpg (135.9 KB, 184 views)
File Type: jpg P1040007.jpg (85.2 KB, 170 views)

JB CUSTOM FABRICATION LLC
www.jbfab.net

ClassicBroncos.com Forums > Archives > Bronco Tech - Archives