Bronco Hut  

Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts   Toms Bronco Parts   BC Broncos
Community
 Message Forum
 Photo Gallery
 Event Calendar
 Book Reviews
 Bronco Wallpaper
 Bronco FAQ

600+ Bronco Links!

Search all Bronco Links
Buy / Sell
 Classifieds / Want Ads
 Vendor Forum
James Duff
Rust Bullet
Sexton Offroad
Bronco Tech
Recent Tech Articles
 •Holley Carb Tips
 •Aussie Locker
 •C6 203 205 Doubler
 •4 Link
 •Clutch Replacement
 •Early Turn Signals
 •C4 Improvements
 •Threaded Dipstick
 •NV3550 5 spd
     More Tech...
Bronco Auctions
Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts

Welcome to the ClassicBroncos.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a GUEST which limits your access to viewing only. To take advantage of all the forum features please take a moment to register. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact the admin. If you've lost your password click here.

Go Back   ClassicBroncos.com Forums > Archives > Bronco Tech - Archives

Old 06/14/06, 10:06 AM   #1
DebosDave'72

Finally Flying!! Private Pilot 4-29-2006

Bozeman, MT
eBay: debospawn
Torque Converter Removal

I know you are supposed to remove the bolts from the torque converter to the flexplate before you drop the transmission. My question: Is this still necessary if the engine and tranny are out of the truck and sitting on the ground? I have been contemplating how to take those bolts out, since the engine is sitting on the ground (read heavy), and don't know if I should roll it on the side to remove the torque converter from the flexplate, or if I can just slide it off the pump end of the tranny? Any help or suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks,

Dave
Old 06/14/06, 11:18 AM   #2
NicksTrix
Bronco Guru

Dream Big

lake norman, nc
eBay: NicksTrix
15/16 deep well socket onto center bolt of the crank shaft. rotate engine as needed to get to the nuts behind inspection cover.
pulling the plugs makes it easier if needed.
simple process
hth
nick

Old 06/14/06, 11:58 AM   #3
DebosDave'72

Bozeman, MT
Nick,

Thanks for that piece of info, What I am wondering is if it is considered necessary, my problem is rolling the assembly onto its side to access the inspection cover so I can get in there. If it is necessary to remove the torque converter from the flexplate, I will find a way to roll the assembly over, if not, I am going to just take the tranny off, and let the torque converter stay attached to the flexplate until I remove the tranny.... I know the issue is the weight of the tranny hanging up on the pump as you slide the input shaft out of the torque converter, just didn't know if this is as important with the unit on the ground, ie. I will be lifting the tranny up as I pull it off anyway.... if I can support the weight, will it be ok to leave the converter attached to the flexplate???

Thanks again!

Dave
Old 06/14/06, 12:40 PM   #4
BwoncoHowie
Contributor
C-4 Wizard

Orange County CA

My Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebosDave'72
Nick,

Thanks for that piece of info, What I am wondering is if it is considered necessary, my problem is rolling the assembly onto its side to access the inspection cover so I can get in there. If it is necessary to remove the torque converter from the flexplate, I will find a way to roll the assembly over, if not, I am going to just take the tranny off, and let the torque converter stay attached to the flexplate until I remove the tranny.... I know the issue is the weight of the tranny hanging up on the pump as you slide the input shaft out of the torque converter, just didn't know if this is as important with the unit on the ground, ie. I will be lifting the tranny up as I pull it off anyway.... if I can support the weight, will it be ok to leave the converter attached to the flexplate???

Thanks again!

Dave
Absolutely not.
You not only run the risk of damaging the pump, but you could bend the flexplate as well. Even a slightly bent flexplate if run undetected can tear out a brand new pump bushing.

You really should try to support the engine on blocks or cradle it with something that will raise it up enough to access the converter nuts. With a floor jack or a skateboard or something under the tranny you can then roll the trans away from the engine after it's unbolted.

A 14mm wrench or socket fits the nuts tighter than a 9/16, this will help you to break loose the stubborn nuts without rounding off the corners.

1973 Explorer, 302 2-V, C-4, 2.5" spring lift, Cut rear fenders, Dual exh. 3.50 gears, Fomoco traction-lock Rear, Dana limited-slip in the 44 up front.
Old 06/14/06, 02:51 PM   #5
Wes harden

if ya don't have time do it right the 1st time don't do it

Southern California

My Gallery
I second Howie, unless your going to replace the flywheel and torqu + rebuild the trans = $250.00 to 500. engine hoist at harbor frieght @ $ 200. as perk you have for next time Can rent 1 too.

Wes Harden
69 Bronco all stock w/ 31 10.5 and cut rear wheel openings
67 F250 highboy front disc 33 12.50 16.5 so far.
Old 06/14/06, 03:10 PM   #6
DebosDave'72

Bozeman, MT
good enough! Thanks for the responses, I will find a way to unbolt the Torque Converter First! Thanks for the help, I would hate to mess this up, and find out later

Dave
Old 06/14/06, 04:21 PM   #7
73stallion
BANNED

Don't look at me in that tone of voice!

Eugene, OR

My Gallery
pull the starter and take the nuts off through that hole. gotta pull the starter to split them anyway.
Old 06/14/06, 05:11 PM   #8
DebosDave'72

Bozeman, MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73stallion
pull the starter and take the nuts off through that hole. gotta pull the starter to split them anyway.

AH HA!!! Great idea, didn't think of that little hole! Thanks, that helps a bunch! I will try to go at it through the starter hole.

Dave

ClassicBroncos.com Forums > Archives > Bronco Tech - Archives