• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Axle Install Begins H1 Wheels Build Up

70EB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Gig Harbor
Watching closely as I have a Sterling that I am going to put in mine. I am using H2 wheels though to tuck them in a little closer (plus they are cheap;D )

crawln68

Bronco Guru
Well it's about time you got stated installing those new axles. ;D Keep the pics and info coming on how the install goes.

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
70EB said:
Watching closely as I have a Sterling that I am going to put in mine. I am using H2 wheels though to tuck them in a little closer (plus they are cheap;D )

Sounds like it will look good, but watch your bolt pattern, and don't forget to machine the centers on those wheels, they don't clear the hub on a D60.

Mike, you gonna try to use the SD radius arms, or re-do the axle and use the EB radius arms?

Gonna use the SD steering box?

Details man, we need details!;D

OP
OP
RajinCajun

RajinCajun

Bronco Guru
Loc.
HawleyTX, La orig.
LOL!! Calm down... I am most likely going to do a tublar radius arm from DOM with poly bushings at both ends.. The SD arms don't look long enough either. That may change a little depending on if I can afford HEIM's or not.. Steering, I plan to keep the current Scout II box, but I have super duty one so I may swap over to it...mainly depends on how much trouble it will be.. putting it on the frame, line connections etc...

The centers are from Dean at Performance Cryogenics, they are the metric pattern for my wheel. Only thing I see that may cause a problem, I may have to grind the calipers a little bit for the wheels to fit, or I may just have to offset them a little more than I planned...which will have benefits and draw backs either way I go.

I am going to whip up some jack stands today after work, I will post pics of the entire install and give a write up as I go with all the problems etc I run into...

68 Broncoholic

Bronco Guru
Loc.
WA
Nice! Looks like we will both be installing D60's at the same time. I finally got time to work on mine this weekend also. How far does the front hub stick out from the H1 wheel? The wheels I'm running are 9" wide with 4" BS so the hub sticks out 1" past the wheel. Half a tire is still outside the wheelwell with these wheels. How does yours sit?

OP
OP
RajinCajun

RajinCajun

Bronco Guru
Loc.
HawleyTX, La orig.
Jack stands built and tacked together.. have to get a full bottle for the welder to finish them up....I hate running out of gas...LOL! They are 2' tall to begin with and have another 15" of height or so from there. I will be getting some big tractor pins or the like for them.. the small bolt was just for pics.

74BroncoCO

Bronco Guru
Cool! Looks like fun! What axle gears are in those? Have you considered Johnny Joints instead of Heims? If you want some links, let me know, I have a few bookmarked. Looking forward to your progress. how's your LED's working? I think mine are still good, but I have been neglecting my bronco some.

J.D.

crawln68

Bronco Guru
74BroncoCO said:
Cool! Looks like fun! What axle gears are in those? Have you considered Johnny Joints instead of Heims? If you want some links, let me know, I have a few bookmarked. Looking forward to your progress. how's your LED's working? I think mine are still good, but I have been neglecting my bronco some.

J.D.

I'm still waiting for pictures of your exhaust. ;D

74BroncoCO

Bronco Guru
crawln68 said:
I'm still waiting for pictures of your exhaust. ;D

oh ummmmmm well.... So we just moved and I thought I lost the ring, but it turned up the other day, now I just need to network with some bronco guys to see if I can get help putting on a new exhaust. I am going to BC's open house, so maybe I can get some local help there??

J.D.

OP
OP
RajinCajun

RajinCajun

Bronco Guru
Loc.
HawleyTX, La orig.
Another step closer.. It is on the jack stands. Just need a little more time ant it not so much heat..LOL!! Click on the link in the first post and hit refresh...

crawln68

Bronco Guru
Holy huge rear ends Batman! That new rear axle is ginormas! Well....there's no going back now. I can't wait to see those axles under there. :cool:

68 Broncoholic

Bronco Guru
Loc.
WA
Hmmm, I like that big rear end of yours...:-X and I thought my D70 was big. That sucker should keep you upright!

Familyman

When I get done with it, I should be able to drive it like I ain't SKEERED!! LOL!!
hey Cajun, If you install that sterling without bracing across the axle tubes that won't be true. I am not trying to pop your bubble but please check out this thread.
http://www.norcalbroncos.com/forum/showthread.php?t=783

I too have a sterling rear and thought the same thing until I got agressive on the throttle, thinking "I won't break anything it has one tons" then "boom" and the day ended early.

Check out the "Nuts & Bolts" section in the current 4 Wheel and Off Road mag - the 14 bolt vs. Sterling question. The sterling uses "giant spot welded pins" that he states "These won't be a problem with you 36- to 38- inch tires, but we have seen them break under massive diesel truck"

Well mine broke with a 2bbl 302 and 37" tires on my EB. All 3 of the weld pins broke off as the centersection twisted on the axle.

Just trying to save you a weeks worth of work that I would of done if somebody would have told me. Hope all goes well, FM