• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Heater: Troubleshooting Heating problems

thesnake

Bronco Guru
The Bronco Heater works great, if it's taken care of. It is one of the things that is easily overlooked. Should your heater not kick out the heat or is lukewarm, or provides no heat at all, some of the below areas should be checked:

1. Check the heater hoses to insure that none of the hoses have swollen shut.

2. Check the temp. valve on the heater hose to insure it's functioning properly. It also doesn't hurt to pull the hose off and insure that the hose isn't caked with crud.

3. Insure all the temp controls are properly set. A quick check of the manual will set you straight on the settings. (will include this here later).

4. Does the blower motor function? If so is it weak or not and does it work on both Hi and Lo settings. Check the wiring and insure everything is hooked up. Also check the fuse if the blower motor isn't running. You can do a quick check of the blower motor by pulling it and putting power to it via your battery and jumper cables. (If the blower motor is not working, this would be a good time to tackle Hotwheel's Chebby blower motor upgrade, which can be found here: http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54371&highlight=blower+motor+upgrade

5. What is the condition of the heater core and the heater box itself. Most of the Broncos I've owned, the box was filthy, the gaskets etc were pretty much gone or rotted. Most of the Bronco vendors sell a heater gasket kit which includes all the gaskets needed to refurbish the box itself. Also, it's not a bad time to go ahead and change the heater core, as it's probably the original anyway. Here is a link to a tech article I wrote that has a step by step of my heater project: http://classicbroncos.com/heaterbox.shtml

6. I restored my heater box and then did Hotwheels blower motor upgrade. I installed this in my 66 Half Cab and it worked great. (Swapped it out with the original 66 when I sold it).

Last edited by a moderator: