Tech article by Dan Thomas (Jeepster)

For those of you that want to refurbish your Stock Gauge cluster, or want to reset your odometer to reflect a motor rebuild or gauge swap. (Seeing as these Rigs are well over 25 years old, most states usually don't see mileage as an issue on sales and titles.....

So when buying an old rig, Let the general condition be your guideline and not what shows on the Odometer. And if you ever sell your vehicle be sure to disclose any modifications you've done to the odometer reading.)

speedoreset1.jpg
Stock cluster out of a 74 showing 75152 mi.
speedoreset2.jpg
Remove 4 phillips screws.
speedoreset3.jpg
Separate front cover with glass.
speedoreset4.jpg
You will also have a intermediate cover.
speedoreset5.jpg
On the back remove the 2 slotted screws.
speedoreset6.jpg
4 main pieces.
speedoreset7.jpg
To remove odometer numbers this clip must be removed. Take a screwdriver...
speedoreset8.jpg
...and push the legs of the back of the clip off of the metal while with a second small screwdriver bending the front of the clip off of the odometer shaft.
speedoreset9.jpg
Clip.
speedoreset10.jpg
Now odometer can be removed.
speedoreset11.jpg
I found this to be the best way to hold the numbers.
speedoreset12.jpg
Metal tabs lined up. Another view.
speedoreset13.jpg
If you want to change the odometer (replacing to match old, or reset) Hold the metal tabs in your left hand...
speedoreset14.jpg
...while rotating the remaining tabs with the other hand...
speedoreset15.jpg
...working left to right till you are where you want to be.
speedoreset16.jpg
Check the plastic gears for good condition.
speedoreset17.jpg
Insert a small screwdriver in the cable slot and turn to check for smooth operation. Needle should move freely and return to zero.
speedoreset18.jpg
Insert numbers back into unit.
speedoreset19.jpg
Be careful to keep tabs lined up. The tab notches must engage the metal edge (check all of them).
speedoreset20.jpg
Notches along "8's".
speedoreset21.jpg
Reinstall clip.
speedoreset22.jpg
Check to see that you got it right.
speedoreset23.jpg
If your dealing with a used replacement cluster now is a good time to check the other gauges. This is my gauge checking tool. 9v battery, some wire.
speedoreset24.jpg
This setup will work on Fuel, oil and temp. (The amp gauge will have to have a wire with current inserted into its loop) Place wire on 1 post of gauge while touching the other post of battery to the remaining post of the gauge.
speedoreset25.jpg
You should see movement.
speedoreset26.jpg
This is the Constant Voltage Unit It supplies power to the gauges. The right terminal is marked "IGN"
speedoreset27.jpg
This is how I tested the unit (note: I'm not an electrical engineer so my observations or method are not necessarily science) 12V battery "pos +" to "IGN" terminal on C/V unit 12V test light to C/V unit case or ground. other end of test light to battery "Neg -" Upon completing the circuit the test light will light steady for a few seconds then flicker or blink as the C/V unit regulates the power. indicating a good unit.
speedoreset28.jpg
The needles on the gauges were faded...
speedoreset29.jpg
so I removed them to freshen up.
speedoreset30.jpg
They are held in place with (2) 1/4" screws each. Mask. (careful needles are fragile)
speedoreset31.jpg
My spray booth.
speedoreset32.jpg
I used florescent orange. Spray lightly. Don't use too much paint.(it might throw off readings)
speedoreset33.jpg
Now is also a good time to freshen up the face plate. I believe Argent paint would be the color you would want to match. This one was good so I will use it as is. Ready for reassembly.
speedoreset34.jpg
(don't forget the carboard tubes for the lights) Ready to put back in dash.