• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

what does a Coil do?

photobyjj

Loc.
Los Angeles
im searchin'...what does a coil do? thanks... IM LAZY...better get my manual now...please excuse..i will find and read on..

ransil

Bronco Guru
It is a step up transformer.
It steps up the battery voltage from 12 volts to 20-50K volts.

Kaw-Liga

Loc.
Palm Coast, FL
For me it is a round black object that sits on your intake manifold and is the reason the Bronco doesn't start every now and then. I just replaced mine again after it left me stranded with no warning on Thursday at 10:00pm. When replacing it I re-located it to the firewall in hopes that less heat might equal more life for the part. I'll be keeping a spare with me now at all times as well.

Rob

OP
OP
photobyjj

photobyjj

Loc.
Los Angeles
thanks... haha... got an education and some laughs...got it coil is somthing i should not take off, hahah

sprinksbeme

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kingman, AZ
This has left me stranded more than once. I now keep the spare coil and a spare dura spark control box all bolted to the inner fender. First sign of trouble
I just plug the wires into the spare. Finding room in the bronco to carry and find or get to can be a challenge so storing some stuff where you will use it save a little time.
Marty

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
thanks... haha... got an education and some laughs...got it coil is somthing i should not take off, hahah

Step away from the Bronco, the tools, and the hard liquor...what you need to do is read your Bronco manual front to back before you start taking stuff apart on it.