• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Locker problem

u0061914

Loc.
Prior Lake, MN
I'm running a Detroit Ezlocker in a full width HP D44 in my trail truck. The last few times out wheeling it seems that my right wheel ALWAYS spins and the left wheel will engage after at least one complete revolution of the right wheel. I honestly don't know if it has always been that way and I just never noticed it, or if it just started doing this. I would probably not be quite so suspicious, but why the right wheel always engages and the left spins seems odd.

Am I missing something here? Supposed to work that way or is something wrong?

Thoughts?

blazinchuck

Bronco Guru
did you install the ez lock? You should be hearing clicking or popping for sure. You might need to remove the cover and check everything out 1st,Chuck

OP
OP
u0061914

u0061914

Loc.
Prior Lake, MN
Yes and no on the install. It was in the truck when I bought it, however I installed 4.56 gears this winter and removed the locker and reistalled in the new carrier. It was very simple to remove and install, although who knows, I guess I could have screwed it up. I do plan on opening it up and taking a look, but I was really wonderiing if that was normal operation for that particular locker? It does lock up, but only after about a complete revolution of the right hand wheel.

thumping

Loc.
Jacksboro Tn
Yes and no on the install. It was in the truck when I bought it, however I installed 4.56 gears this winter and removed the locker and reistalled in the new carrier. It was very simple to remove and install, although who knows, I guess I could have screwed it up. I do plan on opening it up and taking a look, but I was really wonderiing if that was normal operation for that particular locker? It does lock up, but only after about a complete revolution of the right hand wheel.

Been there with the EZ-locker in a 9". Actually I broke the pins twice and had to replace them before finally giving up and got a spool. What size tire are you running? I was running 36's and the EZ is not recommended for anything over a 31 or 33. Once one of the pins break the locker will stay locked until all the pins break and then it is open...one wheel will spin. What you are describing sounds a little odd...as the locker should stay locked until you make a turn and even then if you get on the gas it should lock back up. Either way when in a straight line both wheels should pull together.

You may want to check the pin, spring, plug arrangement. Sounds like they may be in backwards and staying open until you get in the gas…

OP
OP
u0061914

u0061914

Loc.
Prior Lake, MN
OK. I think I'm getting closer to figuring this out. I pulled the cover and took a look at the locker. Everything looked good. Last winter, when I put my 4.56s gears in, the guy who helped me with the install told me that my locker was a detroit EZ locker. Well, I did some research and it looks like it is NOT an EZ locker, but instead a Detroit Gearless locker. I think the issue might be the fact that I did not put in the friction modifier.

Anyone know what kind of modifier to use? Do I need the detroit specific modifier or can I use something else?