• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Does this look like a Scout D44 swap?

Louie

Bronco Guru
The guy who owned my 73 EB for the previous 10 years before me said the front axle was swapped out for a Scout D44 for disc brakes. He wasn't sure because it was done before he bought it (late 80s early 90s at this point). Although he did add the Duff's power booster.

It all works good...the brakes, 4x4, locking hubs. Just wondering if anyone can shed some light by looking at the set up.

Attachments

• hub.JPG
    hub.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 98
  • axle.JPG
    axle.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 89
  • axle 2.JPG
    axle 2.JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 75

fordtrucks4ever

Bronco Guru
Loc.
DFW
Definately Scout brake conversion. The rest is mostly stock Bronco. Not a bad way to go. Just not the easiest to find parts for. I think the spindles and knuckles were unique to IH. Ford style calipers, but spindle has large bolt pattern like 76-77 and Ford trucks, but might use more bolts.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
PDX you can use the scout dana 30 knuckles with the chevy brake parts stuff, very easy and gets the steering about as I high as any other high steer conversion. You can use the dana 44 knuckles to but you have to redrill for the chevy brake stuff. I have a pair of the dana 30 knuckles around here somewhere?

Ben

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
It could be Scout D30 or D44 swap, but I'd put my money on a CJ7 D30. If you count spindle bolts you will know in a hurry. 6 = Jeep, 8 = Scout.

IIRC Scout II's used an internal hub which makes me lean more and more to the CJ5/7 camp.

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
PDX you can use the scout dana 30 knuckles with the chevy brake parts stuff, very easy and gets the steering about as I high as any other high steer conversion. You can use the dana 44 knuckles to but you have to redrill for the chevy brake stuff. I have a pair of the dana 30 knuckles around here somewhere?

Ben

Hey Ben, which ones did I get from you, I forget. %)

OP
OP
Louie

Louie

Bronco Guru
So if and when I needed new hubs (Warn premiums are on now) would I ask for the size that fits 70s & 80s Scouts? Seems logical... Take it off and count splines 1st??? Does spline count even matter?

Thanks

Last edited:

mattt

Bronco Guru
I would say ask for Scout hubs. I think Jeep hubs are the same as they bolt in place too. The Ford and Chevy hubs dont bolt in place like the ones in the 1st picture.