• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Torque Converter

3T

I tried putting my EFI 5.0 in my 74 Bronco last night, but the torque converter bolts did not line up with my flexplate. Do I need to get another torque converter? I have the AOD tranny that went with the motor out of a 93 Mustang. Can I use that torque converter?

OP
OP

3T

I now have more info...the bolt holes are 11.5 inches on flexplate. The bolts on C4 are 10.5 inches. I was told by a tranny shop that the AOD TC will not work but of course they (and other tranny shops) told me just to put the old flexplate on my new engine...I've been told that will not work either.

FASTERDAMITT

Loc.
Oceanside
You need to get the correct converter and flex plate. I found out the hard way. I bought my Bronco with a bad crankshaft due to the incorrect flexplate pushing the crankshaft forward in the block. When you assemble, make sure the converter can slide back a little after bolting up the bellhousing bolts.

76 bronco J

Bronco Guru
I now have more info...the bolt holes are 11.5 inches on flexplate. The bolts on C4 are 10.5 inches. I was told by a tranny shop that the AOD TC will not work but of course they (and other tranny shops) told me just to put the old flexplate on my new engine...I've been told that will not work either.

,,,,the situation your dealing with is around the mid seventies some 74-76 broncos & few other vehicle models had a odd ball setup,,, 98% of the time you have the big bell housing with 164 tooth flexplate & 11 1/2" bolt patttern then small bellhousing 157 tooth flexplate & 10 1/2" bolt pattern ,,,, the odd set up is a big bell housing 164 tooth flexplate & 10 1/2" bolt pattern,,it used the small bellhousing 10 1/2" pattern torque convertor with a welded on snout/pilot cup to make up the depth difference to fit in the larger bell housing ,,,no you can't use the AOD convertor ,but the AOD flexplates on the 5.0 will work perfect with the 11 1/2" pattern C4 torque convertors,,I did this myself because I also had the odd setup & now have a late model 50oz imbalance motor versus the 28 oz imbalance on the old 5.0/302,,,,,this is the way to go because a 164th/50oz. imbalance flexplate with 10 1/2" bolt pattern is impossible to find plus 11 1/2" bolt pattern C4 convertors are a dime a dozen compared to the odd ball convertors,,, I purchased a rebuilt DACCO convertor(part #F48) from Texas National Transmission Parts here in houston for $35(3 years ago) plus $20 core charge since they didn't want the odd convertor to rebuild