• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Front End questions, Steering Linkage??

calger

Loc.
WESTERN ILLINOIS
I am still trying to learn about My EB's. Can some one tell me what is the difference on my both my Bronco's front end? On is a stock 76, and the other is my Lifted 71. Which one is better. The lifted one is all painted up, but some one told me that the 76 and 77 are better, or maybe the other way around. Thanks for the help. I will never ask the same question's twice.

Attachments

• both bronco's front end 001.jpg
    both bronco's front end 001.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 23
  • both bronco's front end 002.jpg
    both bronco's front end 002.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 20
  • both bronco's front end 003.jpg
    both bronco's front end 003.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 19
  • both bronco's front end 004.jpg
    both bronco's front end 004.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 22
  • both bronco's front end 005.jpg
    both bronco's front end 005.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
OP
OP
calger

calger

Loc.
WESTERN ILLINOIS
moor pic's

Attachments

• both bronco's front end 006.jpg
    both bronco's front end 006.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 11
  • both bronco's front end 007.jpg
    both bronco's front end 007.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 18

Doyle

Bronco Guru
Both appear to be Dana 44. The 76 came with factory disk brakes. Your 71 looks to have a disk conversion, maybe Chebby, hard to be sure from this angle. The heim jointed DOM tube steering on the 71 is much more durable than the Y type that came on the 76.

Last edited:

kontinu

Loc.
mount holly
what is the bracket type thing on the left side of the axle in the first pic? I have one on my 76 and if my dad asks me what it is one more time. i'm gonna flip out.

OP
OP
calger

calger

Loc.
WESTERN ILLINOIS
Thanks Doyle, so you called them a heim jointed DOM. Is that hue Makes them? You said that they are better then stock. What is the best a guy could run?
So you think the Disc is a Chevy Conversion? That is funny you said that. I was going to ask that next!!! Thanks For the help.

Doyle

Bronco Guru
Hiem joints are the end pieces attached to the steering knuckle with a bolt. The DOM is drawn over mandrel seamless tubing. There are several places that make these up as kits, or it could have been done by a previous owner. Chebby conversion is a guess, picture showing caliper and mount would help ID, or you can compare to pics in the tech section. There are write ups on both the Chebby and the F150 conversions with pictures.

Kontinu, I think what you're refering to is for the opitional swaybar offered on the 76 & 77 models.

70_Steve

Old Guy
Thanks Doyle, so you called them a heim jointed DOM. Is that hue Makes them? You said that they are better then stock. What is the best a guy could run?
The heim joint is the moveable part at the ends of the steering links. For more info/examples, Google 'heim joint'. DOM stands for Drawn Over Mandrel. It refers to how the tubing was made. In general DOM tubing is stronger that other types (HREW Hot Rolled Electric Welded or CREW - Cold Rolled Electric Welded). "Best" is always subjective, and dependent on the use. What you have is a very strong steering link setup. Some will, and already have, debated using heim joints vs standard automotive tie-rod ends for street use.

70_Steve

Old Guy
what is the bracket type thing on the left side of the axle in the first pic? I have one on my 76 and if my dad asks me what it is one more time. i'm gonna flip out.
Mount for a stock front sway bar.

OP
OP
calger

calger

Loc.
WESTERN ILLINOIS
Man you guys know your Stuff. Thanks a lot for all the help. I would have never guessed that they were not made just for a truck. My 71 Bronco drives and handles better then my stock 76.
This site is great. You Guys know every thing!!!