• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

SIMPLE wiring question

Pokey71

Bronco Guru
i have three wires that come out of the firewall. one is the temp the other is for the oil and the last one is for ..... i think its for the alt . am i correct?? and where on the alt does it go?? i went to bronco.com and tried looking for the scematic but no luck. coulnt even view the pictures.. thanks again

jeffncs

Contributor
Loc.
Raleigh, NC
I actually think it's for the coil... not positive on that without looking at my own truck (at shop for a new oil pan gasket!).

Jeff

Landshark

Loc.
California
i have three wires that come out of the firewall. one is the temp the other is for the oil and the last one is for ..... i think its for the alt . am i correct?? and where on the alt does it go?? i went to bronco.com and tried looking for the scematic but no luck. coulnt even view the pictures.. thanks again

What is the color code???

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
The third wire is indeed the coil wire. It should be brown at the connector. Tracing it back behind the firewall you would find that it becomes a fat pink resister wire that connects to the coil post of the ignition switch. And then there is another brown wire that connects to it from the start post of the starter solenoid for the full 12 volts during start. Be advised of course that the wire does not normally carry 12 volts (except during starting).
A lot of Broncos have another wire, sometimes blue, which is 12 volts for throttle solenoids and things like that. Then others have another bundle of two for other things.