• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

NP435 Shifting ?

Mtn Gote

Loc.
Sultan Wa.
I drained the oil in the 4 speed yesterday and water came out at first then went to oil. Then we were diggin' round in the bottom looking for peices of metal and found a little "clip" thing that had broken. Then we took off the top cover and noticed that on the top of the gears have rust on them. I put the cover back on and started running through the gears and sometimes I could not move either output shafts. Today, I cut the threaded section of the shaft so I could mate the adapter on there. I shifted through all the gears and some off them would not turn. whats the cause of all this? Should I just get another one since they are bout $100? Thanks!
Cory,

73bronco

If they are only around 100 I would just get a new one. Sounds like the one you got has had a rough life! Sometimes a little money is worth a lot of piece of mind!

twbowhunter

that little clip thing toss it and use the tranny,i found the same thing and went to a good trany shop in my town they told me they dont even put them back in,all it dose is slow some slider down (dont need it ) if its the one that looks like the clip on a ink pin toss it ;D

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
I bet you don't have the top cover on correct shifter out of wack....In a np435 you can probley stand some gear pitting ......But if it's not in and and you can take the top off the next one then I might at least pop-a-top ......and have a look see........

OP
OP
M

Mtn Gote

Loc.
Sultan Wa.
I put the cover on just like the way I took it off. But I will try and mess with it tomorrow to try and make it work. Thanks!
Cory,

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
THe location of the shifter in the top cover is tough.... careful ...
and old Np435 doesn't have or cause much trouble ....