• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

ring and pinion-9" vs dana 44

kntr

Bronco Guru
How can you tell the differece between a Ford 9" ring and pinion vs a dana 44?

Anyone have a pic of each?

scsm76

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Shaver Lake, CA
I don't have a pic, but the pinion for the 9" will have a nub that sticks out beyond the gears for a third bearing, the D44 won't. If you have both ring gears side by side the 9" will be larger.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Confirming what is above... The 9" pinion is easy to tell apart because it uses an extra support bearing that goes at the end so it has a bearing surface that sticks out beyond the gears. The 9" ring gear diameter is also 9" while the D44 is something less than 9.

If I can get them both in one place I'll take a pic of them. (I know I have both here)

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
To further add what they are saying, the 9 in. will have a bigger ring and pinion gear compared to a D44 of a similar ratio. The pinion will also have a lot longer teeth than a D44.

Courtesy of Performance Unlimited:

img122.gif

img127.gif

Here's the website in case you're interested:

http://performanceunlimited.com/illustrations/gears.html