• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Oil pump to block gasket?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
While doing a little freshening up of my 1,500 mile small block and putting a smaller cam in it I took off the oil pump. No big deal, everything is fine. Figured I would do a litle look at the bearings while the pan was off.

Swing by the parts store order up a oil pump gasket, special order, comes the next day. It is the pickup tube to pump gasket only. OK no big deal, order the other one, or so I thought. Computer shows oil pump gasket and oil pump seal. Both are the same part number. OK, I'll go home look it up and take in the part number. Start searching, no luck. Start looking at other boards, they are talking about just bolting the pump straight to the block without a gasket. Both are machined surfaces and no big deal if it leaks a little.

So now I am wondering what to do? I'll open this up to your thoughts...

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
You can smear on some of that black stuff if you're not comfortable bolting them together bare....

OP
OP
Broncobowsher

Broncobowsher

Total hack
OK then, I won't worry about it. Probably skip on the RTV, but may put a little anarobic sealer on it.

S.Hembree

Loc.
Grand Rapids
OK then, I won't worry about it. Probably skip on the RTV, but may put a little anarobic sealer on it.

Anarobic is totally exceptable. In the big block Ford world it is often used in a performance application because the pumps are famous for breaking off at the neck. Not using the gasket allows less movement. I would not personally put it on dry, use the anarobic sealer...

DEEPWOODS

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hi,i checked my new melling pump and it has 2 gaskets in the box they are a little different one for pump to block one pump to pickup.

ShortBus

I just bolted my melling pump to the block and threw away the extra gasket. I couldn't find any manual that said to use it. I have good oil pressure. No problems so far.