• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Cuttin up shorty headers to fit full width?

40cent

Loc.
Marysville, WA
67' w/289

Looking for some pics or info on cutting up Mustang shorty headers to work with a full width 44 frontend. Anybody done a write up on this? If you have done this can you chime in and give me the low down on how to do this.

Also The 2 studs that are used to bolt up the collector, the threads are kinda carroded. Can these be replaced or ????

Thanks for lookin

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
I did it. See pics in my build thread below for the exhaust routing.
What tranny you running?
It appears the studs ca be replaced, but I didn't have to.

Attachments

• DSCN3430.JPG
    DSCN3430.JPG
    173.7 KB · Views: 59

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Just curious. What does having a full-width axle have to do with shorty header positioning?
You usually need to modify most Mustang headers on the passenger side to clear the frame better anyway, of course. Is the driver's side closer to the pumpkin on a full-width or something?

edit: Ahh, or is it the position of the driveshaft that causes a problem?

Paul

Last edited:

Hoppy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Gresham, OR
the shop i went to could not do the needed welding
they stated that the clutch linkage would interfeer (np 435)
so they sit in the shed looking for a good home

OP
OP
40cent

40cent

Loc.
Marysville, WA
No I guess your right, full width probably has nothing to do with fitting these headers. Ive been working on my Full width project for a while. Just have it on the brain

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That's probably a good mental state to be in 40cent. After all, we ARE talking about a Bronco here.
You never know with these things. Just changing the taillight bulb type will probably create three other things you have to do to compensate. Hell, THAT might even cause interference with a header install!
Good luck. Hope it all goes smoothly.

Paul

OP
OP
40cent

40cent

Loc.
Marysville, WA
Well they kinda do. I cant run full length headers if im FW. Want to go to these shorty headers or any header that doesnt come lose to my driveline.

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
Just curious. What does having a full-width axle have to do with shorty header positioning?
You usually need to modify most Mustang headers on the passenger side to clear the frame better anyway, of course. Is the driver's side closer to the pumpkin on a full-width or something?

edit: Ahh, or is it the position of the driveshaft that causes a problem?

Paul

The pumpkin on the full width is closer to the drivers side. This places the drivleine closer to the framerail making it very difficult to fit an exhaust pipe between it and the frame. Thats's why I ran it under the bell housing.