• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Well now it starts great ......

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
OK while we were in N Mexico hunting the Bronco ''SnakeBite ''decided it would run bad a few times and then last morning it decided it would not start at all....
1ST problem if we had pulled a hill for several minutes ..and then had that last heave to get over the top ...it would try to die.. would have if I'd not kept the rpms up rather good 3000 ...Then after we'd get over the top and on flat ground I run along at 20 mph or so for 5 minutes it would staightin out did not seem to miss ..But it sure run bad ....
....2nd problem then 2 mornings it didn't want to start 1st morning it did, ...I let it set and slept another hour it started up no problem ..Then 2nd morning It just wouldn't start ...spun over good ..I even pulled it with the dodge for 1/2 mile not even a bump so we came back and ....Loaded it on the trailor with the starter ...Drove all the way back home ,It would still just spin over had to get it off the trailor with the starter....Let it set for about 4 day while I was sick then went out to get help to move it in the shop ...It starts right up now it has ran great for 3 weeks ...We even drove it on 3 hunts about 40 miles each no problem ....I don't know where to go the gas filter is clean .Plugs look good ...I bought cap and rotor and wires but I know their good ...I bought a new fuel pump but have gotten it on yet ...In New MEXICO I did see the filter fill and empty with fuel several times ..It never ran bad when the filter emptied..In the shop I clamped off the fuel line it never died ran over 5 minutes ...
Now next week end I've another trip planned out in west Texas ...SNAKEBITE is on the trail again ...Sure hope it'll run ...
It started at 23 degree this morning No problem ..

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Sounds like a flooding problem. maybe some dirt in the needle seat causing it to act up every once in a while. Might want to pull the carb apart and check it.

aughtsix06

Loc.
kaneohe,hi
i had a similar problem with a chevy K10 a few years back, it would act up for a week or so, then straighten out and run great for a few months. ended up finding a piece of plastic bag in the fuel tank, removed plastic bag no more problems. not saying that is your problem but if you have to pull the tank for some other reason it is worth taking a look.....

DBrown

Loc.
Bowling Green, KY
if it does it again try spraying some starting fluid in the carb to see if it will fire. that will tell you if it is a fuel problem real quick.

OP
OP
Pa PITT

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Good one on the plastic bag in the tank but that wouldn't be this one ....Because it didn't start cold after it had set overnight ...the bag would let it start then die after it would be sucked up on the inlet tube ...could effect the pulling the hill...but I dought it in this case ...
I did spray it with either and primed it also ...SO I guess it's not fuel ...
Back to electrial ....I'd just put in a new dist before we went .old one was loose .....
Keep the ideals coming .Thanks Guys ......

DBrown

Loc.
Bowling Green, KY
are you dura spark? you could have the brain box checked...coil checked also?

I would also go threw the ground wires and make sure you have good connections on everything.

I have an old dart that does exactly what you are talking about and if you shake the under dash harness when it does it she fires right up...

OP
OP
Pa PITT

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
....D Brown I've been wondering about the ignition switch and harness ....This week end worked on it some Just did a bunch of maintance stuff ...I replaced the cap, rotor, wires,fuel pump, fuel filter,which was a little dirty and that was the 3rd one I've put on since before we went to N Mexico ....one before NM ...One in NM and now one here at home ...1st one had been on several years ....Yesterdays was the dirtyest but it didn't look like it could keep one from running ...I also blew back thru the tank I had the cap off and it looked like I blew a gallon out I guess it was full ....That didn't seem to change anything ....Mine is point dissy which I put in just before we went to NM also ...As far as grounds I've got 2 extra grounds ..I bought one of Rays starters and his alt....But I wanted to know I had all the little crap fixed before I put his starter and alt on ...My Bronco didn't like to start at times it didn't have enough battery even if the battery was new ...was a little worse hot ..But it would get you out in the pasture and leave you there ...So I Put on some new ground straps before we went hunting in NM and that has fixed the start problem ......
I was able to even load the Bronco on the trailor with the starter when it would not start in N M ....and the battery never gave up ..Even with us tring to start it ...
...I now feel good about putting Rays starter and alt on ...will do this spring..

DBrown

Loc.
Bowling Green, KY
are you running an auto or manual?

you could check/bypass the nutral safety switch/clutch switch and see if that helps you any.

one thing I was having problems with mine was grounds. everytime I would start mine if I cranked on it too long it would smoke the wire going from the neg. batt. to the body. so I went to the help wall at autozone and got all new grounds and even added a few.

it sounds to me like you have a wireing issue. I would recomend you start looking under your dash to see if you got some wires rotted or rubbing the plastic coating off and grounding out. maybe even check the ignition switch?

I pulled my dash this weekend and found a horible mess even though most everything seemed to be working ok. but my truck needs jesus at this point and it sounds like yours is in alot better shape...

OP
OP
Pa PITT

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Well we're back from our hunt in South West Texas ...I'll write a post about the hunt ...But Snakebite ran great this trip ...Started every time almost 1st spin ...But we did get to park it inside .I put over 300 miles on it during the hunt ...Only hic-up was the headlamp went off one night on the trip back to "camp" ...Only we had put a new headlamp and dimmer switch in it a couple months ago ...I hit the dimmer and lights came back on ....

DBrown

Loc.
Bowling Green, KY
glad to hear the trip went ok, the headlight thing might just back up what I was saying before about the wiring and connections being bad...so did you change anything or find anything in the wiring?