• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Loose steering at steering box

rdv350

Loc.
Scranton, PA
Hey guys, since I have been driving my bronco I noticed that there is a lot of play in the steering wheel. I have isolated the problem to be where the steering shaft attaches to the steering box. I can grab the steering shaft and turn it very easily and there is a good amount of play there. So is there anyway to fix this or is the steering box pretty much shot? By the way it is a power steering setup and from what I've seen these power steering boxes are pretty expensive to replace. What are my options if I have to to replace the box, can I get one from another vehicle or can I just put a manual box in there?

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You can have it rebuilt, send it to West Texas Offroad they will take care of it. I just had mine redone, the build and shipping to TN was 175$, if you have a 6 turn box and want it converted to 4 they can also do that for 150$ more, its worth it.

OP
OP
R

rdv350

Loc.
Scranton, PA
Yeah I guess I will have to go that route. Do all EBs have the same power steering box? If not, how do you identify which year PS box I have? My bronco seems to have parts from all different years.

Broncoman

Bronco Guru
73-75 broncos have a 6 turn from lock to lock.
76-77 broncos have a 4 turn from lock to lock.
Other than that they look the same.