• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Lean, but wierd

spixican07

Loc.
Houston
I've been reading through the posts on bronco lean on here and I'm not sure it describes my problem.

I have about 1" difference between driver's and passenger's side height at the bumper in both the front and the rear...and if I'm measuring correctly, about 1/4" difference between wheelbase lengths from side to side (driver's side is about 1/4" shorter).

I think this problem showed up after the first decent wheeling trip I did. My steering wheel also went from being straight to being off about 50 degrees to the right / clockwise.

What did I bend / break, and how do I find it or fix it?

firehawk

Loc.
Clawson, Michigan
Check your trac bar bushings and the frame where the steering box bolts to it. Also check the upper trac bar mount. You can try turning the steering wheel back and forth while you or someone else watches those areas for movement.

OP
OP
S

spixican07

Loc.
Houston
I actually just replaced the top bushings today. The old ones looked ok and the hole wasn't wallowed out or anything.

There is some flex there but it's the same with the new ones. I'm not sure what else to look at.

I noticed driving it that it's easier to turn the tires to the left than the right, even while stopped.

Really at a loss as to what to do.

Campgroundguy

Sounds to me like you may have bent your tie rod causing the ease of steering to the one side but hard to the other. This would also cause the steering wheel to be in a different location.BUT You probly would have noticed if this got bent though.
Or maybe this...
Check your c-bushings to see if they are in good shape and tight? If not I think when articulated the whole axle may turn a little causing the lean, and the lean causing the steering issue. Did you wheel it again after you noticed the lean?
Just guesses, one of my broncos leaned hard after a short ride in the woods. I was freakin out I did'nt even wheel it hard, did'nt have time to look at it so I just kept driving it, wheeled again 3 weeks later after driving over some rocks.... wala fixed. that was 10 months ago never had the problem since. Thease are just the things that I came up with trying to figure what the heck was up. Hope this helps

Last edited: