• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Harmonic Damper

Bucky

Loc.
New Bern, NC
My Rig just had the Flex Plate Bolts come loose so I'm trying to cover all my bases. It has a new Crate 302 that should have a late model 50 Oz harmonic damper, but I think I my have installed the wrong balancer. I have two Balancer's, ones a 28 and the other is a 50 Oz. My question is, should they bought weigh the same? They both weigh 138 Ounces! Is it just where they put the weight that determines the difference?

Thanks for all your help!!!!

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The balance has nothing to do with the weight of the part. It has to do with the correction factor to rotating balance.
That is 28 oz-in imbalance (correction factor) is the weight times distance. 4oz 7" from the axis of rotation is 28 oz-in.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Can he tell by looking at it though? Perhaps the shaped weighted area being a different size or something? Never looked at 'em side-by-side myself.

Paul

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The new one on the left is 28
The old one on the right is 50
These are for later model engines with the 4 bolt pulleys

Attachments

• P3260013.jpg
    P3260013.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 24

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Beauty. There you have it...

Can't he just wad up some Duct Tape and stuff it in just such a way as to compensate if he's got a 28oz unit? After all, being part of The Force, it IS also self-balancing, right?

Just checking...
Happy New Year. And may the Force be with us for another fun "Year of the Bronco".

Paul

OP
OP
Bucky

Bucky

Loc.
New Bern, NC
Thanks for the Pictures! I just ordered a new 50 Oz that will accept a 3 or 4 bolt pulley! I have a nice March 3 bolt that I want to use, so the 50 oz that I had wouldn't work!
I think having the 28 Oz on my have contributed to my flex plate bolts coming loose! Hopefully thats all the damage I did!

Thanks Again and Happy New Years!!