• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Trying to figure out way to attach roof rack.

brian72

Early Bronco Student
I have a nice roof rack that bolts to a set of horizontal bars that have rain gutter attachments. The rack bars with gutter attachments are one piece.

I have no hardtop. I have a CRAB cage with full length bikini top. I think I have come up with a way to mount my roof rack. Only issue is the front to rear bars for the rollcage sit up under the bikini top.

I will need to split some 2" tubing and weld some wings on it so I can basically make some clamps. Then weld some 1"x2" rectangle tubing up and around the bikini top to make the run across the back of the truck to the other side. See pics.

Any issues in doing it this way?

Attachments

• roof rack.jpg
    roof rack.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 75
  • rollbar for roofrack.jpg
    rollbar for roofrack.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 77

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Hey brian dont make clamps get those fancy exhaust clamps that wrap around the pipe and have 2 bolts holes. They come in stainless too.

bax

Attachments

• 289-33230.jpg
    289-33230.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 31

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
I think I would cut off the rain gutter clamps and weld a piece to the rack that will strap to the middle and rear rear hoop of the cage wide of the bikini. Then it still looks good without the rack.

OP
OP
brian72

brian72

Early Bronco Student
Hey brian dont make clamps get those fancy exhaust clamps that wrap around the pipe and have 2 bolts holes. They come in stainless too.
bax

find these at autozone?

OP
OP
brian72

brian72

Early Bronco Student
I think I would cut off the rain gutter clamps and weld a piece to the rack that will strap to the middle and rear rear hoop of the cage wide of the bikini. Then it still looks good without the rack.

Steve - not sure I understand. Also was not wanting to cut rain gutter clamps off...might get a hardtop one day.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
find these at autozone?

Picture came from Jegs. 11 dollars each. Put a little rubber ( bike inner tube) on the inside and tighten it up. It should work good.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Should be pretty simple. Make a piece of tubing(1 for each side) with a bend at each end going to the main hoops of the roll bar. Find a way to attatch below the bikini. Maybe weld some flat plates and use u-bolts. Then weld some L-metal to it for the rack to clamp or bolt to.

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
Y'all need to talk to Bigjhoov, about how he attatched his rack to the cage. He used some weld on 'trick tabs' and some fancy fanageling to make it go on, and it looked great. He even managed to put a full bikini top on while the rack was on.

grauerfam

Loc.
Owings Mills,MD
Hijack Alert! Sorry guys but I just had to ask after lookin thru 4x4x289's link. How did that a/c setup running thru the rollcage work out? Maybe address it in a seperate link?