• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Hydro boost lines crossed? (Fixed) thanks so much`

bax

Contributor
Old Member
What happens if you install your pressure lines backwards?

I was getting ready to take the truck for it's first ride. I start it up and I notice the brake pedal go down. I put the truck in gear and it wont move. I put it in neutral and I can't make it move. Shut off the truck and I can push it. Also the pressure lines are very hot. Am I a goof up? Are the lines backwards?

Thanks for any help

Bax

Last edited:

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
Not sure if the lines are in backwards, but the HP out of the booster to the gearbox should be the one on the same side as the LP return. My HP lines are pretty hot too.

OP
OP
bax

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Looks like I did it right according to that diagram. Any ideas as to what it could be? The brakes are deffinately ON. When the motor starts the break pedal moves down. I tried to pull the pedal up but it is being sucked down.

Bax

Last edited:

eb66to77

Bronc'Ownly
Loc.
NOVA
there was a problem like this before. I know once TOFIC sees this he will know, but I am thinking it may be the hydro-boost HP out is not working correctly. This causes the unit to build pressure and "activate" itself. Sometimes I wish I did have some of these errors so i could help troubleshoot more.

Most of my "how does it work" knowledge came from Mad and TOFIC. I just found what worked for me and wrote it up.

OP
OP
bax

bax

Contributor
Old Member
there was a problem like this before. I know once TOFIC sees this he will know, but I am thinking it may be the hydro-boost HP out is not working correctly. This causes the unit to build pressure and "activate" itself. Sometimes I wish I did have some of these errors so i could help troubleshoot more.

Most of my "how does it work" knowledge came from Mad and TOFIC. I just found what worked for me and wrote it up.

Thank's I will keep looking at the "whos online" and see if I can catch them.

You on your way home yet?

Bax

kbldawg

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marshall, AR

and I'm so glad you did. I've used your tech article exclusively for my up and coming hydro upgrade.

I appreciate the detail you put into it!!!

Thanks!

OP
OP
bax

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Tofic is the man. He pm'ed me the answer already. The rod inside the hydro boost is too long. This causes the brakes to be "on" and the lines to get hot.

Smart guy, That Old Fart In Canada

Thanks everyone.

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
The rod between the booster and the master, (depending on the booser/MC combo). Grind it down if you need it to be shorter.

OP
OP
bax

bax

Contributor
Old Member
The rod that goes from the hydroboost to the master cylinder. TOFIC says there should be 25 thousandths of slack in the rod.

Bax

eb66to77

Bronc'Ownly
Loc.
NOVA
Thank's I will keep looking at the "whos online" and see if I can catch them.

You on your way home yet?

Bax

Maybe not now, maybe not tomorrow, but soon; and for the rest of your life;D ?:? .

klbdawg said:
and I'm so glad you did. I've used your tech article exclusively for my up and coming hydro upgrade.

I appreciate the detail you put into it!!!

Sweet, that is why I did it. It works!;D

eb66to77

Bronc'Ownly
Loc.
NOVA
The rod that goes from the hydroboost to the master cylinder. TOFIC says there should be 25 thousandths of slack in the rod.

Bax

See that cat is wisdom intensive. If you could call it a glitch in my install was I found that I had pressure applied to the hydroboost because the clevice to the hydroboost was threaded out too far. When I left the auto parts store I just threaded it out a bit. I didn't even remember that until now. The smoke dumping from that caliper (driver's side) was a dead giveaway. It was a quick fix though. I better go make sure that writeup is correct on this matter.

On my setup I didn't need a spanner rod from the hydroboost to the master. My setup is an early hydrobooster. I am not sure when they changed though. I was informed there are three types of astro van hydroboosts for different years. 90-93 is the one I am using. Which one are you using Bax?

OP
OP
bax

bax

Contributor
Old Member
I don't know what year but it is the straight one. No angle bracket.

here is a picture before hoses and lines.

Bax

Attachments

• P1010038.JPG
    P1010038.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 65

eb66to77

Bronc'Ownly
Loc.
NOVA
do you have a 351 in there or are you just giving it some room?Is that a 90 degree turn? I am using the same master as you but I know I mocked it up and did some test pushes and took measurements with the master and the protruded h-boost shaft. It all worked fine. My buddy though did an astro boost and needed the spanner shaft. I remember him telling me about how to make it but I didn't need it. I have the flat mounting bracket too.
eb66to77-setup-2.JPG

OP
OP
bax

bax

Contributor
Old Member
do you have a 351 in there or are you just giving it some room?Is that a 90 degree turn? I am using the same master as you but I know I mocked it up and did some test pushes and took measurements with the master and the protruded h-boost shaft. It all worked fine. My buddy though did an astro boost and needed the spanner shaft. I remember him telling me about how to make it but I didn't need it. I have the flat mounting bracket too.

I have a 400 in my truck. I had to turn the hydro 90 degrees to clear the throttle linkage. The master is a corvette master. Disk -Disk

eb66to77

Bronc'Ownly
Loc.
NOVA
Oh yeah, I'm stupid. I knew that. That is the same master I am using too.