• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

the best 1tons?

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
found a junk yard that sells dana 60's and 14 bolt rears for 187 a pop, but what is the better rear end and why?

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
14-bolt is much stronger than a Dana 60 but has worse ground clearance. You can shave it and get close to what the Dana 60 is depending on how much you have to rotate it for pinion angle. If you want to shop comparable axles, look at the 14-bolt, Dana 70, and Sterling 10.25 or 10.5.

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
A 14 Bolt is mighty cheap, and already 35 spline. It also doesn't have the strength issues that a high pinion 60 rear has (weak, running on coast side of gear)

The D70 is a hoss.

The Sterling's mentioned are strong, and relatively easy to work on, gear selection is getting better, but still limited compared to the others.

A built 9" is always awesome, just spendy.

welndmn

Bronco Guru
A 14 Bolt is mighty cheap, and already 35 spline. It also doesn't have the strength issues that a high pinion 60 rear has (weak, running on coast side of gear)

The D70 is a hoss.

The Sterling's mentioned are strong, and relatively easy to work on, gear selection is getting better, but still limited compared to the others.

A built 9" is always awesome, just spendy.

You mean 30 spline 14 bolt ;p but they are still 1.5 inch shafts.
For me, I like Dana 70's, followed by 14 bolts. The 10.25 parts just cost too much.

kb6677

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You mean 30 spline 14 bolt ;p but they are still 1.5 inch shafts.
For me, I like Dana 70's, followed by 14 bolts. The 10.25 parts just cost too much.

Between myself and two buddys, in the past year 3 D70s have been bought and used for just the reasons, listed,-tuff, 35 spline and somewhat cheap if you shop!!! All three will or have DB conversions, two with detroits($ouch) and one with a red locker :)
FWIW
ps. if you want to make sure of the 35spl. the last two were out of '79 E350 Vans

OP
OP
br0nc0xrapt0r

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
well the 14 bolt is easy, find a 1ton gm duh! but where to I find and how to ID a dana 70?

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
http://coloradok5.com/axleguide.shtml

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/60_front/ - You should read this whole article anyhow, especially if you're considering a D60 front. It's worth the afternoon to read, since college football's over, you have no excuse for reading this on Saturday.;D

http://www.offroaders.com/info/tech-corner/facts/axles/axlefacts.htm

http://www.g-body.org/tnt/diffs/diff-housings.php

A lot of these articles appear similar, but some have bits and pieces of useful information to add to each.

OP
OP
br0nc0xrapt0r

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
thanks gummi for pointing out that I have no life, j/k I bet its a good read Ill get to it.

rjlougee

Bronco Guru
I'd take the Sterling over the other two choices all day, in fact, I have Sterling rears in two of my rigs. They're already 35 spline from the factory and there are plenty of gear and locker choices for them. The gears/install kit cost the same whether for a D60, 14b or Sterling, as do the lockers.

And Sterlings are very cheap/easy to get a spare set of axles out of the yard as well. You can't do that with the D60 and at least half the 14bs came from the factory with 30 spline axles.

The rigs that don't run Sterlings have built 9s in them!!
Joe

rjlougee

Bronco Guru
ok where do I get a sterling what donors are there?

If you want to stay with the 8x65 bolt pattern then you can find them on '86-97 F250/350 series trucks.

For '99 they came with the 8x170 bolt pattern, but they are disk brake equipped from the factory and use the integral drum style parking brake like the Explorer 8.8" rear.

BTW, the newer ('99+) E series vans use a D60 that has the same disk brakes and parking brake setup. I'm not sure of the spline count inside, but it's really wide at 68" WMS (compared to 65" for the Sterling).
Joe

rjlougee

Bronco Guru
I'm not 100% certain it was all them, but I do believe it was. I know I've pulled a bunch of them out of the yards. I did specifically look while I was in the yard today and all the '86-97 F250/350s had them.

If you look at the back of the housing you can see it's got a different pattern than the Danas.

Sterlingcover.jpg

Danacover.jpg

The big thing most folks notice when looking at the Sterling is the webbing around the center section.
Joe

RajinCajun

Bronco Guru
Loc.
HawleyTX, La orig.
I am running a 10.50 in my Bronco.. honestly the easiest "bolt in" I found... It came with disc brakes.. only draw backs are metric bolt pattern and large center section.. the metric bolt pattern wasn't a problem for me.. my front is a D60 from the same 05' Super Duty... :) I put 5.38's in the rear and front with a detroit up front and welded in the rear..