• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

np435 or t-18 swap

54ford

i dont like the three on the tree set up on my bronco so thinking about looking for a floor shifter conversion that is my first option then thought why not swap in a np 435 or t-18 so i read up on it seems i need an adapter to use stock transfer case that would be option 2 but adapter is around 500 why not just use a 205 transfer case that is used with 435's or t-18 's and make new drive shafts if needed and most likely use the transfer case shifter that is used on the 435-205 combo option 3 has anyone done this swap i would like to hear everybody input on this this bronco is going to be used to cruise around local and trail rides

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Yes you can go that route its cheaper but you do lose a little T case gearing that way.(d20 low range 2.34 NP205 Low range 1.92.) although you wont notice it much going from 3sp/D20. Adapters can be found for less heck you can usually find a tranny and adapter for $500 or less. Also keep in mind that modifing the D shafts may cost a $100 or more. You will also have to build a cross member or mount for the 205. Then you may have just as much into that combo as a D20 adapter would cost. But either way its a very good setup. I like mine.

OP
OP

54ford

i have lots of trannies laying around and local u pull sells the for 45 $ where can i find the adapters maybe find a used one think wild horses sells em for 4 something

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Check the classifieds on this site there are adapters for sale sometimes. Also if you get a 6 cyl 3 speed adapter housing there are a few companies that sell a adapter plate for around $200 you can usually pick up 6 cyl housings for less than $50.

OP
OP

54ford

so my buddy just bought a parts bronco off me he wants the 289 out of it to replace his 6 cylinder since he still owes me some money i could work out a deal for his 6 cylinder 3 speed what part do i need off the 6 cylinder