• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dual exhaust options

cbo

In the process of installing a dual exhaust on my project. I am toying with the pipe tips coming out before the rear tire as opposed to out the rear. I am at that decision making point. Is it a help or hinder for short runs of exhaust? I know it sounds more aggressive.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Other than being a little louder I dont believe it really makes a differance. I've ran my exhuast out the side in fromt of the rear tires for years on my 73 but I also have fenderwell headers and didnt want to run the exhuast back inside the frame.
So really other than plumbing it up and maybe a little less clearance its not a big issue. But if your into rock crawling it may become a issue.

nrramse

I knew a guy that had his pipes in front of the rear tires. The driver's side pipe got a hole in it, then exhaust melted the auxiliary gas tank and lit the truck on fire!

Newell

av bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Palmdale CA
I have mine in front of the rear tires and on the freeway I get LOTS of exaust fumes, going to a two into one routed out the passenger side behind the tire.

Last edited:

TBS-POPS

Bronco Guru
Loc.
valley springs, ca
Any exhaust from under the body in front of the rear tires will get you fumes in the cab!!! Tires catch the exhaust and swirl it under the body and it gets inside. out the rear corners on a 45 is the best with straight out the rear 2nd.

Mine is through the body on the side (see my gallery) and doesnt get inside...

recoiljunky

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Dothan, AL. USA
Mine are in front of the tires. Mine is extremely loud, but that could be a combination of things.

I've heard (and believe) that exiting the exhaust in front of the tires heats the tires up more and accelerates wear.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Here in AZ the pavement is hotter than my exhuast.:cool: I dont believe its a issue. As for fumes I've never had that issue with mine routed out the side in fromt of the rear tires.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Straight out the back is what I used first and almost got some really bad CO poisoning headaches...

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
%) %) %) Run mine out just infront of the rear tire's and just put new mufflers on flowmaster 40's love the sound. No top no doors no fumes good luck with your choice.;D ;D ;D Bill :cool: ;D %)

GRIZZLY

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lakewood, CA
I also dump mine in front of the axle. No fumes to speak of. My only warning is if you have are or are considering inboard shocks you will need to angle the tips away to keep from heating them and sooting them up.

Stroppe-Envy-77

Bronco Guru
Keep in mind that you can't smell CO inside a vehicle.

Just because there are no detectable "fumes," you still might be breathing in some dangerous levels of carbon monoxide, which essentially poisons your blood.

Any time exhaust is swirling underneath or behind a vehicle, there's a good chance it's getting sucked into the cab, especially in something like an early Bronco, which isn't espcially air-tight.

Just some food for thought.

OP
OP
C

cbo

Thanks for the advice. I will go to rear and 45 out.

NYLES

Bronco Guru
could bring em down next to the gas tank...mine be soundin fine fine! OCBR folks will hear the diff I promise!

Down in front of axle is loud and messy!

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Do you have a picture of yours Nyles ? I need to do something different, I've bent mine into the rear fender the last 2 times out.

NYLES

Bronco Guru
Do you have a picture of yours Nyles ? I need to do something different, I've bent mine into the rear fender the last 2 times out.

Ill take you some when I get home! New hughes net I can actually do that kinda stuff now!

Ill post em here!