• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

C4 - gets stuck in park

jalapeño

Loc.
Philly 'burbs, PA
C4 gets "stuck" in park, especially on an incline. It seems the only way to get it back into gear is by rocking the truck. Could this be the parking mechanism & if so, how do I adjust it?

Last edited:

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Mine has done that and was so tight that I actually have broke the shift collar twice. A spare shift collar is a good item to keep on hand. The cure is to completly disassemble the shift tube from the column and give all the moving parts a good servicing. Using the parking brake on inclines is helpful too.

OP
OP
jalapeño

jalapeño

Loc.
Philly 'burbs, PA
Its a B&M floor mounted shifter. I pulled the old floor panel so I can see the cable & shift lever on the trans & everything but the shift lever seems to be moving ok. Once its out of park, it will move in and out of the rest of the gears fine; which leads me to think its in the trans.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
You can try to adjust the external linkage by loosening the nut, putting the trans and shifter in neutral separately, then tightening the nut. There is no internal adjustment on a C4. The adjustment might help but the park gears are square-tooth cut and a steep incline makes it difficult to pull out of PARK. Setting the parking brake before putting the trans in PARK helps on hills.

OP
OP
jalapeño

jalapeño

Loc.
Philly 'burbs, PA
that means one must have parking brakes ;) And not to sound ignorant here.... but I didnt install the shifter. You mean the nut toward the front end of the shifting rod, correct?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
that means one must have parking brakes ;) And not to sound ignorant here.... but I didnt install the shifter. You mean the nut toward the front end of the shifting rod, correct?

I meant the stock shift lever nut but your shifter has a cable adjustment on it somewhere.

OP
OP
jalapeño

jalapeño

Loc.
Philly 'burbs, PA
Ok, its definitely NOT the shifter, cable or adjustment.
I pulled the cable off of the lever on the trans. and attempted to shift the lever out of park by hand/ vice grip. It wont budge.
Connected the cable & shifter back up, still nothing, not unless I rock the truck back & forth while attempting to shift out of park....... which while cursing at it, appears as if I have turrets

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Not really much to go wrong inside. It's all mechanical linkage back to the park pawl. If it doesn't happen on level ground I don't think there's much you can do for it, other than adding a parking brake.

Attachments

• Bronco 008s.jpg
    Bronco 008s.jpg
    272.1 KB · Views: 25
  • Bronco 007c.jpg
    Bronco 007c.jpg
    252.9 KB · Views: 26

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
Anyone have any ideas?

The park pall actuator lever that hinges to the stationary post in the rear of the case might be damaged. If you swap it out for a C-5 version, you might get smoother operation. You might need to drop the extension to access it.

Dan76

Mine has always done this and I too have broken a shift collar trying to get it out of park (actually my dad did it). Get your ebrake working and set it before you put shift to park.