• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

The last high torque starter thread got highjacked

Should the fender mounted magnetic switch be used with the ford high torque starter?

• I run a carb so I need it for the ignition 12V bypass anyway

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • No, its just another potentail failure.

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Yes the contact in the ignition switch will burn up.

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
You guys are all over the board on how to wire this starter, so I will narrow it down some more. I am addressing only the issues that are of a real concern.

I think everybody agreed on the following: The large hot wire should always go either direct from battery to starter or to the battery side of the fender mounted magetic switch so that the started always has a direct scoucre of power no reason to switch it twice (fender and starter). AGREED?

Two schools of thought on the start circuit.

1. The start contacts in the dash mounted ignition switch are too small for switching the starter mounted solenoid so the start wire is left on the fender mounted magnetic switch and the output of the switch (which use to be the big wire for the starter) is now wired to the start terminal on the starter to buffer the ignition switch some, maybe, I doubt it, but OK. No one has ginven any proof this cantact is too small and will burn up under use.

2. Throw away the fender mounted magnetic switch and wire the high torque starter without it. Only a problem if you are still running a carb and need to bypass. Otherwise it just introduces another potential point of failure. I have replaced more of these than ignition switches.

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I bought a high torque starter from Ray I'm guessing about 18 months ago, he sent instructions with it which I followed and thus far have not had any problems. The instructions were to move the starter cable to the hot side of the solinoid and run a heavy wire (can't remember size?) from the starter side down to the starter. I think that's all I did, if I did more can't remember.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
There are lots of ways to do it and lots of reasons to either use it or not. I don't agree completely with any of the voting options. If you are opposed to keeping it but do just for the ignition bypass you can use a small relay to provide that function. The fender mounted solenoid is also a useful part of an anti-theft system when combined with the mini starter and some creative wiring.