• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Ignition Frustration

travis77

Loc.
Pasadena MD
I'm really frustrated w/my ignition system. I replaced almost everything and it still just turns over and over w no spark. Any reason i shouldn't install an HEI distributor? Are there any that i don't have to cut the hood to fit? No body lift. I already posted under "Ignition issues" to try and fix the problem and i'm tired of trying to fix what i've got. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Travis

76 bronco J

Bronco Guru
>>>>> other than the simpleton wiring , I dont' see those HEI type distributors as a good replacement or upgrade for the ford system ..... ford did a good thing with the remote module & coil setup..........

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
X2 I dont see it as a good alternative. I'll have to refresh my mind about your other post see what else may be possible.

OP
OP
travis77

travis77

Loc.
Pasadena MD
But why is it not a good alternative? Not looking for an upgrade per se, i just want to hear my baby fire up again. My problem is definitely in my ignition system.

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I havn't looked at your other post on this but is there someone close to you that has another Bronco or another Ford that runs as should and with the same system? Maybe they would allow you to swap out parts, if so, do one at a time until you find the problem.

70_Steve

Old Guy
But why is it not a good alternative? Not looking for an upgrade per se, i just want to hear my baby fire up again. My problem is definitely in my ignition system.
I'm thinking that most guys here don't like to either give up on a problem, or throw major parts at a problem to avoid the problem. It's like saying you can't get the engine to run right, so you're just going to replace the engine.

There have been some Duraspark troubleshooting threads lately. The last one I remember was a problem similar to yours. The end result was an intermittant pickup in the distributor. Most of the time it measured the correct 400-800 ohms, but one time, right after it died, it measured less than 200 ohms.

Don't give up on it. Where do you live? Maybe one of the guys here could come over and help troubleshoot.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru

How many parts have you already replaced on your durspark? you said just about everything so that means all your stuff is new what good does it do to throw another new part at something when its probably just your current wiring. I'd consider running new power wire with the correct ballast resistor to your ignition. As it sounds as if your current setup is hacked anyways. The external resistor you currently have may be part of the issue.

OP
OP
travis77

travis77

Loc.
Pasadena MD
Thanks for all the replies, i really appreciate having some people who know what they're talking about to bounce ideas off of. The only thing i haven't replaced is the distributor. Here's why:

1. I don't know how to test it
2. I don't know if it will solve the problem
3. I don't know if the gear is cast iron or steel
4. If i replace it, how do i keep from messing up the timing?
5. Other unforseen pitfalls

70_Steve

Old Guy
I read your other post, and you made mention of a test light. They may come in handy at times, but will probably not be much help to troubleshoot this problem. Do you have a Volt/Ohm meter? If not it would be a very good idea to get one. Not only for this problem, but a lot of the other problems you'll have with your Bronco. Use the VOM to test the distributor pickup/stator. You can get inexpensive volt/ohm meters just about anywhere.

cobradoc

Loc.
Owasso
Put a test light on the negative terminal of the coil.Crank the engine..does the light flash?Yes..distributor is sending the pulse.No flash...likely the pickup coil in the dizzy.If the dizzy is sending the pulse then you need to look at the secondary side if the system,ie..coil duraspark box etc.

markperry

Bronco Guru
Just curious... Did you have a reason for replacing your distributor?
If you are referring to my comment..the reason I replaced my distributor is because the 392 i put in the stang kept shearing the pin off on the distributor gear...Once I replaced it I have not had a problem;D

OP
OP
travis77

travis77

Loc.
Pasadena MD
Resolution:
new dizzy, new icm, new ballast resistor, new coil, many hours tinkering with a non-running truck.

The fix- My + wire going to the coil was a little too jiggly argh...

Lesson learned: Fix the jiggly sh*t first!

ArmyTiger6

Loc.
Ft. Hood, TX
Travis, funny reading these old posts. I'm running into the same problems with my 'new to me' Bronco. Luckily I haven't purchased any new parts...so thank you for saving me some $$$. So, how did you fix the jiggly wire? My coil has the stock cap and the weird posts (meaning I can't simply tighten the jiggly wires). It looks like my stock set up is not adjustable. I may need to find a new cap to create a tight fit over the coil posts.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Travis, funny reading these old posts. I'm running into the same problems with my 'new to me' Bronco. Luckily I haven't purchased any new parts...so thank you for saving me some $$$. So, how did you fix the jiggly wire? My coil has the stock cap and the weird posts (meaning I can't simply tighten the jiggly wires). It looks like my stock set up is not adjustable. I may need to find a new cap to create a tight fit over the coil posts.

You need a new coil connector. NAPA ECH EC238

patf223

Loc.
san diego
get a dui or petronix. those distributors have everything u need. no more ballast resistor, ignition modual, just it to coil to relay. good to go.