• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Tell me what you see in my engine compartment

Greg Bell

Hey guys,

I am new to Broncos. This is a 1967. What all do you see in here? I know the heads where rebuilt and it appears to have electronic ignition.

timetravelfoundation

web.jpg

web.jpg

Broncobowsher

Total hack
V8, smaller, 289 or 302
Edelbrock elite valve covers and air cleaner. Probably installed the same time as the aluminium intake. I expect a 4-barrel carb and with the Edelbrock theme I would guess an edelbrock carb as well.
MSD blaster coil. The 3-wire plug looks like a Mallery distributor
Eletrical conduit clamps holding the heater hose to the inner fender and a coolant flush T installed.
Heater control valve installed on the wrong hose (should be the intake to heater hose to limit pressure build up in the heater core)
An additional ballast resistor added to the firewall with some slopply looking butt connectors used and exposed for future corrosion issues with the wiring.
The unpainted head bolts show the heads were painted off the engine, so I do believe that head work has been done. From the looks I would guess that all the engine work was done at one time or about the same time. The wiring (comments below) looks to be more modern then the mechanical work

next, still have the factory surge tank. Mounted above a stock Ford power steering pump of 80's vintage. Is it whining yet?
Also have a vacuum power brake booster conversion done.
Missing the fan shroud
That wiring on the passenger fender is scary, but details in the third picture make me think there is a good sized aftermarket stereo installed.
Stock charging system with some more not so nice looking wiring repairs done.
Non-stock battery tray and a group 34 battery (really straining my memory on that one, post configuration reminds me of a 24F but it looks to go toward the rear of the opening and the 24F is generally a little narrower)

Is that what you were looking for?

OP
OP
G

Greg Bell

Mattw.

What is is an SBR? "Short Barreled Rifle?"

I just realized you were looking through the rest of my pics. That is actually a full auto M16 with HK416 upper. I totally have some paperwork for it somewhere. LOL

OP
OP
G

Greg Bell

BRONCOBOWHSHER,

Hey,

Good call on everything! Including the goofy stereo (which I am going to chunk). I hate the radio. LOL

What changes would you guys recommend?

OP
OP
G

Greg Bell

I knew I recognized that power steering cap. It looks like the old one on my wife's Taurus. UGH

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
...Heater control valve installed on the wrong hose (should be the intake to heater hose to limit pressure build up in the heater core)...

Actually, it's in the correct hose (mostly), but the hoses have been re-routed to the extreme. Notice how both hoses now run along the fender and the top hose (with the valve in it) does run to the top of the manifold. The bottom hose runs to the pump.
So that does mean that the hose that usually might be on the inner fitting, is now on the outer. Don't know if that would have any negative effect though.

Paul

OP
OP
G

Greg Bell

Looking through reciepts I found...

Heads rebuilt, etc back in 03.

Clutch, flywheel 03

Rebuilt trans and shifter bushing kit 06.

New ignition system 07 (Accel 8.8mm plug wire, MSD Blaster 4 coil, ACCELL points eliminator. ETC.

Disk brake kit 01
Power brake 01

Other than the paint, I am pretty dang happy with this rig. Other than deleting the stripe, stero crap, a few lights and getting my hard top put on it I am satisfied. The previous owners spent a lot of money on this truck! I am sure I will too. :)

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
"Satisfied" is a great place to be. Live with it and enjoy for the time being.
No real telling how many miles were put on components in those last six years or so, but while it's running good, take good care of it and make sure to fix/replace things as faults occur and it shouldn't leave you stranded.
Too often anyway...

Paul

OP
OP
G

Greg Bell

Ha! No doubt. I took the air filter off and it is has an Edelbrock sticker and a Weber casting mark. I can't tell which Edelbrock carb it is.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Actually, it's in the correct hose (mostly), but the hoses have been re-routed to the extreme. Notice how both hoses now run along the fender and the top hose (with the valve in it) does run to the top of the manifold. The bottom hose runs to the pump.
So that does mean that the hose that usually might be on the inner fitting, is now on the outer. Don't know if that would have any negative effect though.

Paul

Top hose does indeed run to the intake (water out to heater)
I can see the heater control valve on the inner fender as well. But I don't see any hose clamps at that location. So the valve must be installed in the lower hose on the inner fender. That is the one that sucks water into the water pump.

I did see the headers, did forget to mention them. Trying to figure out what brand they were. Still don't know.

Bad guess on the distributor. I should have kept with the hunch that the lack of a red cap wasn't Mallary, but that 3-wire connector convinced me of otherwise. Still recoganized it as aftermarket.

As for what to do, wiring.
That looks like a rats nest of problems waiting to happen.
That is my suggestion anyway.
If it runs warm next spring, add a fan shroud.