• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Six Cyl. Core Support

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
Need some help guy's. I need a 6 cyl. core support and fan shroud for my "66" build and unable to find a vendor that carry's them. I'm replacing the whole front clip and open to any ideas. I could use a little more cooling as the 200ci I'm building is almost twice the hp as stock.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Core support is the same as the v8 one everyone sells. Not sure about brackets and such for the radiator though.

OP
OP
Explorer

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
The opening is smaller on the 6 and you're right on the brackets being diff. I could fab a V8 core support to work, but would rather not. Would be nice if I could find a V8 radiator with the right inlet/outlet.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Yeah I think all the early core supports had a slightly smaller opening than the later ones. A bigger radiator would be a good idea for that and if not maybe just some sheet metal work wouldnt be to hard. Might even be able to make it channel air into the radiator better and without the gaps.
Shouldnt be to hard to find a radiator I think some of the later ie68 up mustang radiators might be what your looking for. I'll check the one I have in my pile its from a 70 mustang with a 302. If it has inlet/outlets similar to the 6cyl stuff then I'll post some pics and give you some measurements.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Ok I got a few pics. Unfortunely the 70 mustang radiator didnt have the side rails on it. But I think they would work if you removed them and swapped sides so they would mount to the core support better.
The pics of the rad opening show the 2 differenances both are V8 broncos the blue is a 71 and the copper is a 67. I had noticed there was a differance before but I hadnt ever measured it. Its about a 3in differance in the opening might be a good tip for some guys that have cooling issues with earlier tubs.

The mustang radiator is about 20 1/2 wide without brackets and 21" tall without a radiator cap. It looks like it would be a good swap for a 6 cyl radiator as the inlet and outlets are pretty close I believe. I dont have a 6 cyl rad to compare it to though. So I'm not sure if its any bigger or smaller.
With some mounting brackets the mustang radiator would be a pretty close fit. Like I siad before I think you would have to swap the brackets around so it would mount to the core support. But there may be other options out there. Thats just what I happend to have laying around thought it might be worth a shot.

Attachments

• 70 stang rad.jpg
    70 stang rad.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 70 stang ht.jpg
    70 stang ht.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 7
  • 70 stang wd.jpg
    70 stang wd.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 10
  • 67 tub.jpg
    67 tub.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 71 eb.jpg
    71 eb.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 14
OP
OP
Explorer

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
I think that will work pretty easy. Height is right, width is perfect. One more question, how thick is the radiator, inlet and outlet diameter? I'll have to get the engine in to check for distance to fan, but other than that, looks doable. Thanks again.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I'll have to go check but its no thicker than a stock bronco radiator its only a 2 row but I know that 3 rows are availible. Still if mounted to the core support you should have the same space you have with a stock radiator. Plus shrouds should be availible also. inlet and outlet size is 1.5in but I'll double check that as well.

OP
OP
Explorer

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
Took a better look at the pic's and inlet/outlet will work. My old radiator is a good bit smaller and the core itself is a little thinner, but I think it will work. Should give me the extra cooling I'm looking for and a lot easier to make it fit the V8 core support. It'll be a few weeks before I get to order any more stuff. Have to wait till I get the final bill on the engine build. I'll post when I get it together in case someone else wants to do the same.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I double checked the inlet/outlet size they are 1 1/2" the top tank is 3 1/2" and the bottom tank is 1 7/8". The core is 1 1/2" its also a 2 row. So a 3 row would be a little wider at both the core and bottom tank but the top tank should be the same.