• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Cam recommendations.

ryoungbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Belmar, NJ
Let me give the specs.. 351w, bored .030, 10.5 to 1 compression, forged pistons, 185 afr heads, edelbrock air-gap intake, mid-length headers. Truck will be used for fun and sun (sorry to disappoint, its a family fun mobile). I plan on a 600-700cfm carb but am not sure about the cam. It will have to be a flat tappet hydraulic. Here is what I've found so far. Comp Cam X4270H and X4262H Any suggestions?

av bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Palmdale CA
Camshaft innovations is ford people,the owner is Jay, not much more expensive then a of the shelf cam and probably the most cost effective engine mod you can do.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Probably the 270 cam. But fun and sun doesnt tell me much as far as type of driving your going to do. Compression is a bit high so the bigger cam should help bleed some of that off. but still vehicle useage, gearing, tire size, tranny, have a lot more bearing on the cam choice than compression ratio carb size or heads

OP
OP
ryoungbronco

ryoungbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Belmar, NJ
Driving will be around town and to shows with family. 37 in tires, 4.88 gears with a built C4. Hopefully that helps. I don't know much about cams. I understand the terminology but choosing the right cam is foreign to me.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I'd probably still go with the 270 cam. But I would really call some companies and get there recommendations. Also one thing to consider that a big cam can cause issues with the torque converter. You may need a higher stall speed to run a big cam. And more than likely your going to need the bigger cam with that comp ratio. or else you'll be going to the airport to fill up.
There are a lot of factors in chosing a cam so call some places to find out what may be your best choice.

OP
OP
ryoungbronco

ryoungbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Belmar, NJ
I'd probably still go with the 270 cam. But I would really call some companies and get there recommendations. Also one thing to consider that a big cam can cause issues with the torque converter. You may need a higher stall speed to run a big cam. And more than likely your going to need the bigger cam with that comp ratio. or else you'll be going to the airport to fill up.
There are a lot of factors in chosing a cam so call some places to find out what may be your best choice.

I figured I would need a higher stall on the converter. Talking with my machinist he told me I'd be OK with the compression. There is an airport 5 miles away but I only want to go there to watch the planes take off.:)

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
well with aluminum heads the compression will be ok but you may still need high octane. If your cam is to small they you will really be needing high octane. Just want to make sure your aware of some of the stuff that might be required for a big cam.

OP
OP
ryoungbronco

ryoungbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Belmar, NJ
well with aluminum heads the compression will be ok but you may still need high octane. If your cam is to small they you will really be needing high octane. Just want to make sure your aware of some of the stuff that might be required for a big cam.

That is why I always ask. This site has taught me a lot and I always appreciate the help!