• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Pic request of your 3G Alternator Install

Heus33

Bronco Guru
I've got the wiring diagram from BC Broncos but I'd like to see some pics of how you installed yours.

Specifically looking for...
1) How and where you mounted your mega fuse
2) How you wired the unit into your stock wiring harness. The diagram says to wire a black wire back into the stock wiring diagram - looking for pics on how this is done. My harness has what looks like a three prong plug - two of those wires went to the old alt and a third went to the starter solenoid. I'm assuming this third wire is what needs to be reconnected but what does it do?

I also understand that you lose the use of the stock ammeter. Is this correct?

Amac70

ME
Can't really help with the wiring but yes you will lose your stock ampmeter. I mounted my megafuse on the fender wall where the old voltage regulator was. Rest of the wiring i took out so can't really help there.

bronco loco

It never ends
Loc.
Long Island New York
I was planning to install my 3G set up today, but is raining. I will take as many piictures as I can when I do it. I will be using a 3G off a taurus and the wiring from Ryans.

Moon's74

Loc.
Henderson, NV
Here are the pics I took after my install. I don't have any at the firewall, but considering you won't use anything from the solenoid except the green/red, it's pretty easy.
When I took the alternator from the 96 taurus I also took the plug and the battery cable. This was all I needed except the mega fuse and circuit breaker.

The two biggest wires from the cab at the firewall, black and black/yellow, were put together on one end of a 30A CB (protects the wiring in the cab from under hood shorts) and the other end of CB on the battery side of solenoid.

Green/red wire from regulator (hot when run) was connected to the alt plug (light blue wire in pic), disconnected from the regulator, and connected at the firewall to the same color wire.

The rest of the regulator wires were cut and terminated.

The only other wire from the alternator is the big yellow/black (In pic, from donor vehicle) going through the mega fuse (I used 150A) to the batter side of solenoid.

Clean it up and away you go. Pretty simple. I just used Vipers drawing and it made sense. Works like a champ.

Hope this helped.

Moon's

Attachments

• DSC03094.JPG
    DSC03094.JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 114
  • DSC03095.JPG
    DSC03095.JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 86
  • DSC03097.JPG
    DSC03097.JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 100