• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Deaver 5.5" springs sagging?, don't like the raked stance

fromme

Loc.
Suffolk, VA
Now that I've got this thing all together and rewired and have wheeled it couple times, it's time to give some attention to something that's bothered me since I bought it. Another PO installed the lift, it is a 5.5" Deaver front and rear springs. I like the rear springs, but the front has always been a few inches lower than the back. I'm not really digging the raked stance it has. Plus, the 36s on in are worn out and I've got some 37" Pit Bull radials on the way and I'd kind of like to have the same opening in the front wheel wells as the back. So here's the oldest picture I can find of it from the PO. It's always had a slight rake, but I can deal with that:

359373925.jpg

And here's how it is now. Pic taken in the garage, sorry it's so dark but it's at a friend's getting a cage put in so can't take another photo right now:

DSC02370.jpg

Now these springs are a few years old, but I wouldn't think the fronts would sag, but apparently they have. Since I'm not the original purchaser, I don't even know where they bought but I doubt I'd get much help. So I've resigned myself to probably needing to buy another set of front coils. I am looking at the Wild Horses 5.5" coils and like that they are progressive, so it might be just as well I guess. So how do you think those would work with the rears I have? Think they'd raise the front up to where it should be without sagging later on? Ride is good?

barronj

Bronco Guru
Put your hard top back on & your rear tire & you'll see the stance level out.

It looks like you took about 200# of weight off the back end of it, so naturally the back end would raise up.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
When I installed the WH 3.5 kit in my son's half-cab, it was 'raked' too..a bit more than in the first pic. However...having two 200# fellas standing right smack on the rear bumper did little to correct it either..so I knew right there and then it was certainly nothing to do with a 'missing' 100# of hardtop (about how much of a hardtop 'might' be weighing the rear springs.

I ended up changing out the front springs to 4.5s..and then after a year of use including wheeling, it now finally sits level.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Looks good with the hard top on. I'm going to disagree slightly with bmc69 as a new lift takes time to settle and means little when first installed. As was said the lack of hardtop or other weight in the rear is the main cause. Quite common. If you have 11 leaf rear springs you could try removing a leaf or 2 see if that helps relevel it.

Louie

Bronco Guru
You ought to measure the lift front and back with your usual top & spare mounted to see what you're actually dealing with. You know, the top of the axle tube to the bottom of the frame (I forget the numbers...something like anything over 6" in the front & 7" in the back is your amount of lift). Your rear flares look to be mounted up to an inch higher than the front contibuting to the rake look.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Looks good with the hard top on. I'm going to disagree slightly with bmc69 as a new lift takes time to settle and means little when first installed. .

Disagree on what?..I've installed at least 8 or 9 Bronco lifts over the years. My point was that my initial rake on the half cab was way more than a hardtop would correct, and that adding 1" to my front springs AND having the rears finally settling ..those two combined resulted in a level rig.;)

I had a hard time deciding between removing leaves and replacing the front springs too...decided to go the greater lift.

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
It's deceiving because it looks like your flares are mounted at different levels.
Your rear flares are higher than the front flares.
Compare the flares to the bodyline and measure.
Sure looks like it to me.
BTW, nice looking Bronco!

OP
OP
fromme

fromme

Loc.
Suffolk, VA
Put your hard top back on & your rear tire & you'll see the stance level out.

It looks like you took about 200# of weight off the back end of it, so naturally the back end would raise up.

The hard top is gone, but it made no difference. I've got a heavy 36" tire on the back and that makes no difference either.

Good call on the flares, I'll take a closer look when I get it back with the extra weight from the cage, and see if I need to adjust the flares some.

So if I measure from the top of the axle tubes to the frame, should the distance be the same front and rear?

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
Why don't you lower the rear a little by removing 1-2 of the shortest leafs? That's what I did to set mine how I wanted it. It's quick and cheap, and if it's not going to work out, then just pop them back in.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Disagree on what?..I've installed at least 8 or 9 Bronco lifts over the years. My point was that my initial rake on the half cab was way more than a hardtop would correct, and that adding 1" to my front springs AND having the rears finally settling ..those two combined resulted in a level rig.;)

I had a hard time deciding between removing leaves and replacing the front springs too...decided to go the greater lift.

I disagree with the point of even having 2 200 lb guys in the back and no differance was made. While yes With new unsettled springs its not going to make much a differance but given time it will. Not only that every set of springs tends to be a little different lots of guys have had the rears settle and endup with rake the otherway. One set of springs I had did that my other didnt both on the same rig. So it can just be a matter of how much the rear springs endup sagging Which will be less with a half cab or no top at all.

I'd still probably pull a rear leaf vs going with taller front coils becuase when the rear springs do settle in and sag if the rear ends up lower you can always reinstall the rear leafs to gain back what you lost. Plus as far as I know your limited to one vender for 6.5in front springs and raising the front even more may create handling issues with the caster probably alreadt being poor to begin with.

OP
OP
fromme

fromme

Loc.
Suffolk, VA
Yeah, its been at least 3 years and the thing has been wheeled a good bit, at least once at Rausch Creek. I'm not expecting any more settling from the rear springs.

I do appreciate the help and input, but I am not interested in lowering the back. I wanted to know if it is common or possible to experience front spring sag from Deaver springs and how the Wile Horses springs are. And also what I should check for measurements.
I could put 1000 pounds in there and it won't matter, it is what it is.

OP
OP
fromme

fromme

Loc.
Suffolk, VA
I got around to measuring some things. Sitting level I have about 10 1/4" between the top of the axle tube and the bottom of the frame in the front. In the rear I have about 12 1/2". So that approximates a 5.5" lift in the back and a little over 4" in the front, correct? Either those springs have sagged or they aren't the right springs in the front. Thoughts? Looking for confirmation here before I go and buy a new pair of front springs.

Smokeater11

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Auburndale,FL
I had read about different peoples issues with rake before I bought my lift and since I'm like you and don't like front end rake I ordered my front springs with 1'' more lift than the rears springs. My rig sits within 1/4'' of perfectly level with nothing in the back and completely level with the spare tire on it. Once I add my roll cage I might end up with a slight rearward rake but that has yet to be determined. One cheap option to see if it is the springs would be to get a set of the twist in spring stiffeners/lifters from Vato Zone and see if they help the problem. I'm not saying run them all the time, just stick them in there and see if it helps. They're cheaper than new coils. Being that you are already at 5.5'' I don't know if you can go any bigger with the springs unless you are using those softer flexy springs and change to a more stiffly rated spring.