• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

front axle seal leaking

bludorbronc

my front axle seal is leaking, saw a commercial on tv about a power steering seal stop leak, was wondering if it would work in my front axle. would it affect my arb.thanks

Broncobowsher

Total hack
IF you just had an open diff, I would think it would be a neat experiment. Worst thing is all the seals start leaking. A swig of power steering fluid in the diff oil shouldn't hurt a thing. The axle is archiec and has run on just about anything that will go in the hole and has any lubricating and corrosion control properties.

But, you have an ARB. You don't want to mess up the seals in that. So with that, a big fat NO! Take it apart and fix it right.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
One good thing is once you do replace the axle seals it'll be leak free for decades. I replaced mine about 10 years ago and they haven't leaked since.

Griffman

Loc.
Missoula
Replacing Front Axle Seals

One good thing is once you do replace the axle seals it'll be leak free for decades. I replaced mine about 10 years ago and they haven't leaked since.

Mine just started to leak. Man, when they decide to go ... they go! Heavy oil all over my garage floor. How exactly do you crack into fixing these things and how much are they usually? - Thanks! :-[

johnnybgood74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
boise, idaho
they are really cheap. just a few bucks each. to replace them, you have to pull the carrier because they are removed and installed from the inside. you have to pull the axle shafts also. not a huge job but time consuming. great piece of mind to replace them!

jperry1290

i just replaced all of my axle seals a few weeks ago. its a PITA to do, but not really too hard if you have tools and know how. good time to switch to disc if you dont have them or add a front locker or gear change. if you dont want to switch brakes you can actually undo the king pins and slide the axles out with brakes attached. undoing/redoing the hub is the most time consuming part of this since you need new grease and need to clean everything well. you can pm me with any questions. i have pics of homemade tools that helped as well.

Zillacon

Loc.
Hackin Away!
Is a case spreader necessary to get the carrier out?

Quick answer, Nope. Loosen the bearing caps, put a wrag under the ring gear and rotate the pinion. The force from the wrag between the pinion and ring gear will push it out without any damage. You can also use a pry bar as well but remember to leave the bearing caps on loose so you dont drop the carrier on yourself or damage the gears when they hit the floor.

johnnybgood74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
boise, idaho
no, a case spreader is not a needed. you just have to undo and remove the two carrier caps, use a pry bar or large screw driver and GENTLY rock the carrier out of the housing. i only use the the pry bar at the top and bottom between the housing and the carrier. i also use a thick rag between the housing and the pry bar just for added protection. its not hard to do at all.

Griffman

Loc.
Missoula
Ok, Ok... Step by step...

I've been reading this post like mad trying to figure out where to start on this project... could someone post the numbered steps to replace these things? Ask me how to rebuild a carb or how to tear apart the engine and put it back together again and I'm fine... Ask me to replace inner axle seals and I need help! :)

One last question on this... does one side "tend" to go out more than the other? In other words, should I replace both seals if one is out? Right now it's my drivers side front that's out.

Thanks

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
...One last question on this... does one side "tend" to go out more than the other? In other words, should I replace both seals if one is out? Right now it's my drivers side front that's out.
Thanks

No, not like the short side axle tends to break more than the long side. But with all the work involved to get to the seals, it would be foolish to replace just one. Removing the carrier = taking apart both sides. It will be a good Sat. project.;D

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
I'll start
Step 1 drive one of you tires up on a cinder block and on the low side use a pressure washer or high pressure water and force water on top of the axle into the axle tube. Do this before you take anything apart. The axle tube is full of dirt, sand and small rocks. Flush out as much as you can. The swap sides and do the same thing. The side that has the leak I would spray in engine cleaner the night before you flush it out. If you dont clean out the axle tube when you slide in the axles after you replace the seals you push all that crap into you splines, drag it over your new seals and into your clean housing. Gears do not like dirt and grit splashing around.

step 2 Now you jack up the axle and put it on work stands. Now remove the tires and everything down to the spindles.

step 3 Drain the front diff

Step 4 remove the spindles and pull the axles

Step 5 Remove the carrier when it comes out it comes out fast and the bearing races fall out with it. Keep the races on the same side they came out with.

step 6 Behind where the bearing races are the 2 seals one on each side they are both the same. you have to pry them out and replace with new ones. You have to press them in in oppsite directions at the same time. I used a piece of threaded rod with some round discs and some nuts on them and expanded the nuts and pushed the seals in.

step 7 clean everything and put it back together.

Pay attention to your wheel bearings ands inner spindle bearings and of course the U-joints on your axles. Time is now to replace all that stuff while you have it apart.

bad 68

Loc.
Northest Washington
I will add this to rustytrucks post.
1) I swear by the case spreader. My gearset and carier didn't have many miles on them and did not want to come out without it so I made one. No prying it out, No beating it back in. I'm sure I will use it again.
2) you can skip the step of trying to pressure wash the tubes out with the axels in.
Once you get your carrier out and the housing is bare you can use all the solvent you want to clean it all up. Solvent works better on gear oil soaked grime than cold water does. I removed the old seals then cleaned the tubes like a rifle barel. Last thing to clean spotlessly is the gear case.

austinbrose

Be warned though...I found that my whole front end was in bad shape when I went to replace my inner axle seal. Ended up taking a week waiting for parts and costing a lot. LOL...wish I would have just bought the disk brake kit and a Dana 40.

bluesbish

Loc.
Upstate New York
In my expeience, I have found that these seals seldom go bad and it is more often worn ball joints causing the axle to run on an angle allowing gear oil to sneak past. or, recent repairs such as ujoints in the axle shafts may show up as a seal leak a week later as it may take that long for the fluid to creep through the dirt and mud. also, front diff full of water can cause leaks due to the fluid overfull.

Griffman

Loc.
Missoula
Well, miraculously, my axle appears to have quit leaking. When I bought the rig, it had been sitting for quite some time so I'm wondering if it was dried out and now that it's being driven again maybe that did something? I will watch the levels and make sure I have fluid and wait...