• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dana 20 query for the gurus

Schwab

After returning from a fairly rough rock crawling session here in Vegas I noticed my TC was painting the driveway pretty well in oil. I ran to the computer and purchased the Wild Horses seal and gasket kit. Based on threads I've read most of this can be installed with the case in the truck, yes? Also are my seals leaking because they're old (probably) or because the shafts are sloppy and it's rebuild time. No idea if this was ever done. I replaced TC mounts with Duff poly and the old ones looked original. I would appreciate a website or two for rebuilt TCs. Thanks. Schwab

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
You can replace most of the seals and gaskets without taking the tcase out but if it's leaking because the seals are old it's probably time to go through it anyway. It's easier to work on it with it sitting on a bench too.

TN1776

Bronco Guru
I'd be concerned with the internals of the case if its been a while since its last rebuild. Make sure you have identified the source of the leak as a bad seal or two and not a cracked case. Rough rock crawling is what got my attention...

RajinCajun

Bronco Guru
Loc.
HawleyTX, La orig.
Pull it and swap all of the seals, lots easier and then you eliminate that worry. I did mine right before OCBR last year and with some of that terrain it gives you peace of mind knowing at least that item is not suspect :)

rich3901

Loc.
College Station
I just pulled mine out of my truck about 20 minutes ago! i have the Wild Horses seal and gasket kit and after cracking the case and finding sludge or film if you will all over the walls i'm opting for the rebuild. I have no idea about if mine has ever had the rebuild but honestly if you build it right it won't be on your mind in my thoughts. especially since it's already out and taken apart so easily. the taking out part was DEFINATELY no picnic. not the worst job i've ever done on a car but no fun at all. have a buddy or see some of the other threads for tips. creativity will be appreciated.