• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Auto w/PTO going in-we'll see :)

RajinCajun

Bronco Guru
Loc.
HawleyTX, La orig.
Auto w/PTO IT WORKS!

Ok, well I have been contemplating for a while about installing a C4 that I have had ratholed for a couple years. The question that I am still worried about is how the PTO will work. I have asked this on here before and no one has ever seen it, so I get to be the guinea pig I guess. The concern is the pto will engage when the tranny is shifted into rev or drive with no way to stop the winch unless I shift it back into neutral. Planning to see how this works out, my alternate plan is to put a brake/caliper on the output shaft of the winch drive so I can lock it and put the tranny in fwd/rev and then release the brake to actually drive the winch, this will give me complete control over the winch. I really hope this works, I would hate to loose the PTO winch ability. But if it wheels better it may end up with a Warn 8274 on front and the PTO etc will be ratholed for a daily driver Bronco later in life :)

After the last trip to Katemcy, I pretty much smoked my clutch so v/s putting another on in I am sticking the c4 in. I will get some pics and post up over the next few days. Sat I removed my set up and got to where I am needing flexplate bolts, and then I need to pull the J-shift transfer case and put my T-shift case that has been rebuilt and shift rails ground for true twin stick ability.

More to come.....

Last edited:

av bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Palmdale CA
Im thinking if you got twin sticks you can engage the front without locking the front hubs and leaving the rear in nutrel and putting the trans in low it will work(in theroy)

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The brake idea should work just fine. What is the plan for the brake, something off a motorcycle?

gddyap

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Mtn View, CA
The only difference is the clutch for a manual tranny, right? If you want to disengage the engine from the PTO, you push the clutch in and then put it in neutral. Not really too different with an auto except there's no clutch to push in. I don't remember how easy it is, if at all, to disengage the PTO while it is receiving power.

OP
OP
RajinCajun

RajinCajun

Bronco Guru
Loc.
HawleyTX, La orig.
The only difference is the clutch for a manual tranny, right? If you want to disengage the engine from the PTO, you push the clutch in and then put it in neutral. Not really too different with an auto except there's no clutch to push in. I don't remember how easy it is, if at all, to disengage the PTO while it is receiving power.

Yes, but with an auto, I will have to shift into neutral to stop the winch.. no clutch to just push in... I am thinking even at idle the torque converter will have enough force to drive winch.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Yes, but with an auto, I will have to shift into neutral to stop the winch.. no clutch to just push in... I am thinking even at idle the torque converter will have enough force to drive winch.

Shifting to neutral with an auto probably won't stop the winch unless there's a load on it. That's when the brake would help.

OP
OP
RajinCajun

RajinCajun

Bronco Guru
Loc.
HawleyTX, La orig.
Shifting to neutral with an auto probably won't stop the winch unless there's a load on it. That's when the brake would help.

That is my worry... maybe the internal inertia of the tranny alone will still be moving and cause the winch to turn... Waiting to see what actually happens :) The install happens in the next few days as long as everything goes right with the install.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
It's not so much the inertia as the internal friction in the clutches that will cause it to transmit power to the output. Same thing that happens if you put the tcase and trans in neutral and then try to shift the tcase into gear. The brake would work well if you apply it first (before shifting trans) and release it last (after shifting trans).

camomog

Loc.
Reno, Nv.
Have not used a PTO but the bronco one goes on the t-case so if your axles are not spinning then to winch would stop as well. What I am getting at is with a manual you push in the clutch and the PTO stops, with a auto you step on the brake and everything would stop, then you should be able to shift to neutral and disengage the PTO. A friend has run one for years and loved it, as he has changed bronco's he keeps the winch and moves it to the next bronco.

BroncoDawg

Loc.
Bishop, CA
What I am getting at is with a manual you push in the clutch and the PTO stops said:
?? Don't think the above statement was too well thought out?? TC has to be in neutral to run pto, so how will pushing the brakes help stop the pto.
Now if talking about a custom brake on the pto driveline, that's different.

OP
OP
RajinCajun

RajinCajun

Bronco Guru
Loc.
HawleyTX, La orig.
What I am getting at is with a manual you push in the clutch and the PTO stops said:
?? Don't think the above statement was too well thought out?? TC has to be in neutral to run pto, so how will pushing the brakes help stop the pto.
Now if talking about a custom brake on the pto driveline, that's different.

Yes, custom brake on pto output to winch, not foot brake for axles.

Wickedcool

Loc.
Oklahoma City
I have a c4 with pto winch combo, works great. I dont think you will need a brake when I go to neturel every thing stops. There is a lot of drag when you go through half of the tcase, 3 ujoints, a carrier bearing and the worm drive of the winch. I almost always winch at an idle, if the pulling stops give it just a little gas, its very easy to break a 3/8 line. I have a pan fill c4 ind the winch drive shaft runs very close to the fill tube but they self clearanced them selfs years a go. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
RajinCajun

RajinCajun

Bronco Guru
Loc.
HawleyTX, La orig.
I have a c4 with pto winch combo, works great. I dont think you will need a brake when I go to neturel every thing stops. There is a lot of drag when you go through half of the tcase, 3 ujoints, a carrier bearing and the worm drive of the winch. I almost always winch at an idle, if the pulling stops give it just a little gas, its very easy to break a 3/8 line. I have a pan fill c4 ind the winch drive shaft runs very close to the fill tube but they self clearanced them selfs years a go. Hope this helps.

AWESOME hands on info, thank you for posting up... That is just what I needed :)

OP
OP
RajinCajun

RajinCajun

Bronco Guru
Loc.
HawleyTX, La orig.
Well the auto is bolted up and setting on the cross member. Another night with some more work and it will be good to go. Tip of the day for tranny swap is if your engine has dowel pins installed ensure your new-to-you tranny does not have any already installed while you are trying to hold it up in place :) :) ask me how I learned this valuable tip :). Luckily I had made some alignment bolts that were longer with the heads cut off, that was a life saver for sure.

Michael Homan

Loc.
Dayton,Ohio
alignment bolts are the cats a-- when it comes to installing trans to engine.

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger on the dowels issue. Yes I have a t-shirt!!

OP
OP
RajinCajun

RajinCajun

Bronco Guru
Loc.
HawleyTX, La orig.
alignment bolts are the cats a-- when it comes to installing trans to engine.

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger on the dowels issue. Yes I have a t-shirt!!

ROTFL, that is funny.. I told my buddy I would post up our new found knowledge and he said, I bet there are others :)... We can start out own dowel pin presence-when-not-needed club :)

OP
OP
RajinCajun

RajinCajun

Bronco Guru
Loc.
HawleyTX, La orig.
Great Wife :)

Well, I have to brag on my wife a little. I sent her a wish list from Jegs a few days ago with the tranny cooler w/fan and shift kit I need for my auto swap. It was sent as a "when we get $, I need this" you all know the list I am speaking of :)

Well I get an email today saying "suprise, I ordered these parts for you" :). So I have a shift kit and a remote tranny cooler with fan to finish up my auto install. All I need now is some fluid and maybe hose/fittings :). Glad I won't have to be working at last minute before Round-Up :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
RajinCajun

RajinCajun

Bronco Guru
Loc.
HawleyTX, La orig.
Update

Well the Auto is in and the PTO winch works like a champ. With transfer case in neutral I just shift the auto from drive to neutral to stop it, and shift into rev to get it to power out. So for the record you can use an automatic c4 with a pto winch :) I am happy, I did not want to lose my PTO winch in order to get an auto :) Sad thing is I have had this C4 under my shelf for a couple of years and all I needed to do was put it in :) Give me a little while and I may have a T19 for sale :)

Pics will come soon....