• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rattle, Knock, Grind Noise

Diego

Just did a NV3550 swap with rebuilt D20 T-shift with JB Fab twin sticks. Occasionally I'll hear a ratttle, grindy, knocking noise from trans/tcase area.

I researched the possible causes and gathered that it could be pinion angle, axle wrap? I'm not sure, hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Well considering that the NV setup is not any longer than a stock setup I would look at it being the tranny or t case..
Otherwise you would have probably noticed it before.

Pinion angle and axle wrap dont cause grinding/ rattling issues in the tranny area. Axle wrap will cause the rearend to hop and pinion angle usually causes driveshaft vibration..

Many times especailly the newer tranny's will makes noises If theres any wear on them gears tend to grind a little and have a few rattles. I would suspect the liteweight oils they use today are part of the reason.

OP
OP
Diego

Diego

Thanks broncnaz. I hope it isn't the trans or tcase, the NV is "new" from ManTrans on ebay and the D20 is from Bronco Connection.

OP
OP
Diego

Diego

I repositioned the twin sticks.
I did some surface street and freeway driving and didn't hear the rattle.

* Last night I added washers to the bolt holding the twin sticks in order to add tension to hold them in gear. The tightness made it harder to feel their position.

Thanks again broncnaz.