• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Axle input needed

Mikekerney

Loc.
Eufaula
The previous owner of my 77 Bronco put earlier 4:10 axles on it (dana 30 front, drum brakes, small bearing 9" rear). I assume it was because they were both posi and he off-roaded. Both axles are in good shape with new brakes.

I recently purchased original 77 non-posi 3:50 axles, in need of a total rebuild, to make it scream less and drink less going down the road, and to get disc brakes.

Question on the 9" rear:
(1) Should I pull the posi carrier out of the current small bearing rear and swap the gears out of the new axle? Then sell the large bearing axle.
(2) Should I move the posi carrier to the large bearing axle, swap gears, and rebuild the axle (brakes, bearings, etc..)? Then sell the small bearing axle.
(3) Should I sell the 4:10 posi rear as-is, and rebuild the large bearing rear with an aftermarket posi?

Question on the front:
(1) Will the Dana 30 posi work in the new Dana 44 axle?
(2) If not, what posi should I put in the Dana 44, if any, when I rebuild it?
(3) Is there a market for the matched set 4:10 posi's, even though the front is a Dana 30?

Look forward to your input.

grauerfam

Loc.
Owings Mills,MD
I would go with rebuilding the 77 axles for two reasons - originality/newer upgraded brakes and the 3.50 gears will be much more road friendly with your stock size tires. The 4.11's make the Dana 30/ 9" more sale-able. By the way, I have a factory swaybar for the 77 Dana 44 if your interested and I'm about 45 mins away.

Larry

grauerfam

Loc.
Owings Mills,MD
Oh yeah, the posi's?
Again, since this is a nice original looking street oriented Bronco, I would leave the front 44 as an open diff. You'll probably be able to get away with just changing the diff fluid and new money spent will be on brake components. For the rear 9" consider a mild limited slip like a Tru-Trac - no clutches or special fluid needed.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
For the front...
1) no
2) Trutrak
3) not really

More then likely your '77 has a D30 in it because it was pirated for an earlier rig. Someone bought your '77, swapped the axles from there early rig to get the good '77 axles, put there old axles under the '77 and sold it off for probably about what they paid for it. They got a nearly free axle upgrade and left future owners (now you) with the leftovers. The fact that there are limited slips was just a lucky leftover.

For the rear...
The '77 housing is considered the more desirable "big banjo".
Big bearing housings are also desirable.