• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

suspension...the good stuff!!!

fatboy4211

Loc.
Ennis, TX
I grew up believing more leafs= stiffer ride. what is a 11 leaf long travel spring ride like. send me your thoughts on coil springs, leaf springs and shocks. i use my EB as a 3xs a week driver and want a good ride. it looks like all my suspension is original and i feel i can get better. it definately dips when turning and stopping so im sure it needs replacing. help me pick the right stuff. thanks

fordtrucks4ever

Bronco Guru
Loc.
DFW
If the front end is not squatting down, you may just need to get some premium gas filled shocks from any major parts store. I used to favor Monroes but in the last 10 years Gabriel have gotten my attention after installing them on several vehicles.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You didn't grow up knowing wrong. In the old days, it was pretty universal that more leaves meant more stiff. The springs of late though have some different design parameters built in however. The individual leaves are a bit thinner, the anti-fan clamps are loose, so as to allow the leaves to move freely, and each leaf has a teflon or polyethylene pad in between to allow easier sliding. The pads have been used for years, but Broncos didn't get them. At least not in the early days.

Another thing that can mean stiff, is more arch. Not always of course, but in many cases, a more arched spring pack will ride harsher than a flatter one. The 10 and 11 leaf packs get some of their lift from the sheer overall thickness of so many leaves stacked up. With that additional inch of lift built in, the main leaf can be much less arched than it could otherwise be, allowing for easier initial movement.
And those bottom leaves are so short, they don't offer much resistance to movement in the outer reaches of the longer leaves.

At least that's my theory-of-the-day. And I'm stickin' to it.

So far most of the people I know and hear about here, seem to like the ride overall. The front coils are the same thing. Lots of much better riding coils available now. People are swearing by BC's single-rate coils for their road-ride characteristics. I'm running the Wild Horses variable rate 3.5" coils and they ride super on the street. The only time I had a better ride was with the variable rate stock replacement coils by Moog.

Lots of good stuff to choose from these days. Good luck with your decision.
Shocks are crucial to the equation too, as ft4e said, so that's a big part of your choice. Get some feedback there too, before pulling the trigger on your order. Lots of members here swear by the Billsteins. I've used the Monroe and Gabriels in the way-distant-past, but don't have any current feedback personally.
The old Rancho 9000 adjustables are a decent compromise, but never quite seem to have the right setting for an individual need. Part of that might be due to our custom needs requiring a shock number that was not valved for a Bronco in the first place. With the Billsteins though, you choose your own valving.
Something to think about.

Paul

68rockcrawler

Bronco Guru
I run the WH variable rate 3-1/2" coils and their 11 pack lift springs and my Bronco rides pretty nice on the road even with cheap shocks. I would defintely recommend these springs for a daily driver. Bilsteins are great. I am planning on putting them on my Bronco very soon.

Last edited: