• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need help on wiring a DPDT switch for fuel pump and selector

Bundy

Bronco Guru
Hey All-

just in the middle of my re-wire and am on the fuel pumps and pollak selector valve portion. I bought a nice, lit 10 pin carling DPDT switch but I need some help on how to wire my setup. previously there was a switch for the tanks, and one for the pumps which was stupid.

The switch circuits are as follows:

8----7
1(out)----4(in)
2(in)----5(in)
3(out)----6(out)
10---9

I know that 7, 8, 9, 10 are all for the lamp circuits but I am unsure about the rest. Would I use #2 for my 12V (what about a ground) and then #1 and #3 to the fuel pumps? the pollak schematic shows that i then splice off each fuel pumps power line to go to the switch, so I guess my questions are why I can only figure out how to use 4 of the 6 open tabs and which one are connected?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Do you have a link for the factory instructions for the part you are using?
I can't figure out what is going on with your interpurtation of the instructions, too confusing and way too easy to make a mistake and give you bad info.

OP
OP
Bundy

Bundy

Bronco Guru
Here is a copy of the switch circuits and the pollak instructions, although they are kind of beat up... you call tell my attempted tab designations i dunno wtf i am doing

Attachments

• scan010.jpg
    scan010.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 30
  • scan011.jpg
    scan011.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 24

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The second page really helps. The sending units are switched by the valve and nothing to do with the switch on the dash.

Page 2 shows a DPDT switch on the top left corner, those are pins 1-6 on your switch.
Pins 2 and 5 are incoming, one is ground the other 12V
Pin 1 has a jumper to pin 6 and then continues to "D" on the valve
Pin 3 has a jumper to pin 4 and continues to "E" on the valve.

What those 6 pins do is set the polarity of the electricity going to the valve. Changing the switch will reverse the polarity. The motor inside spins the other direction and causes the vlave to move. There should be some limit switches inside to prevent the motor from burning out. As the valve moves it flips a switch inside that changes the sending unit from one tank to the other for you. If the valves doesn't get power, it doesn't move, the sending unit stays on the tank it is drawing from. If the switch functions backwards, reverse power and ground at pins 2 and 5.

For something a little nicer on the switch, pins 7 and 9 go to ground.
Pin 8 connect to pin 1 or 6
Pin 10 connect to pin 3 or 4
This will light the switch differently depending on which way the switch is flipped.

If the lights are backwards,
change pin 8 to 3 or 4
and 10 to 1 or 6

OP
OP
Bundy

Bundy

Bronco Guru
Broncobowsher-

Thank you for your reply- I want to make sure I communicated that the carling switch I have and the one supplied by Pollak are different... maybe they work the same but better to make sure before i go do this. Also, what is the best way to run a jumper when using the tab terminals as oppose to screw terminals? do i just splice off the wire? does it matter if i run the jumper off the wire going to D valve or if i run the wire going to the D valve off the jumper?

Rookie questions, i know... but it's starting to make sense though which is a good confidence builder.

thanks again!

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I don't know a simpler way to tell you what to do other then to make a jumper.

Let me focus on pins 1,2 and 3. (4,5 and 6 are the same but to simplyfy I will ignor them at the moment.)
Pin 2 is the common, doesn't matter which way the switch is flipped, it is connected to something. The something is either pins 1 or 3. When flipped one way, pin 2 and 1 are connected together. When that happens pin 3 is left open, not connected to anything at all. Flip the switch the other way and 2 and 3 are connected and pin 1 does nothing.

If you look at the pins that I told you to jumper, they form an "X". That is when you flip the switch, it is the same as reversing the polarity of the wires. That is all it is doing. power is now ground, ground is now power. What every you jump the terminals with needs to handle whatever power the rest of the wiring is going to handle. Yes, that means that you will be putting 2 wires on some of the terminals. I have never seen the switch, I can't tell you how to do that. You will need to figure that out on your own.