• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1/2 cab repairs

Fitz24

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I need to paint my 1/2 cab which is in pretty good shape except for a buckle in the middle of the top (closer to rear of roof). I can push the buckle up easily from inside and the top looks correct. After letting it go, it will pop back down.

Anyone know of a good way to get the metal to regain it's orginal shape?

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
The metal is stretched out there and it needs to be shrinked back to it's original size.

Google "metal shrinking" and you'll get several sites that explain it and even a few you tube videos. I've always done it with a torch, hammer & dolly, and wet rag, but it kind of depends on how large of an area you are dealing with.

OP
OP
Fitz24

Fitz24

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Well, I think that I should have done a little more research. Seems you should not try to shrink the metal to remove a buckle in a piece of metal that has been stamped (stretched) into shape. Heating and cooling to shrink only pulls the metal down and works at returning the pressed arch of a Bronco top back to a flat piece of metal.

Man, what a pain it has been to repair. BFH and a lot of time to get into general shape. Body hammer and dolly for hours more to get close enough to use a skim coat of filler to bring it back to shape. Now, need to repeat skim coat on inside and repaint the roof.

djhudson05

Get someone inside to push up on the metal to where it needs to be, then have them hold a dolly and tap around the edges of the dent( Crowned areas in the metal) with a body hammer. This will relax the metal and should help with the oil can effect, but don't stretch the metal farther by beating it hard, light taps against the dolly should do.