• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Headlight Hi/Low foot switch

bronco_daddy

Loc.
Paso Robles, CA
Tired of replacing them..done everything I know of to keep them in top shape and corrosion free yet they go out readily..I buy a half dozen at a time and that is pathetic.

Like to see what others have done to get around this weak part..

OP
OP
bronco_daddy

bronco_daddy

Loc.
Paso Robles, CA
The Bronco is a pavement princess... never see's dirt except for a rare drive on Pismo.

Dielectric grease on the tangs also. Last switch had 'maybe' 50 miles on it and out of that if was two nights of driving. Headlights went out so I went ahead and replaced the headlight switch anyways as it was old and of course the problem was yet again the high beam switch. This Bronco is super clean, inside is immaculate, garaged 24/7 and were I live it rarely rains and it does not do out in the rain...just a toy.

trtlsoup22

Never had a minutes trouble out of mine... I wish the new vehicles had floor switches....

Is water getting to yours ??

OP
OP
bronco_daddy

bronco_daddy

Loc.
Paso Robles, CA
Never in the rain and rarely washed as it gets wiped down. Just summing it up to crap parts. Will try NAPA next been buying Reilys which may be the issue. The switches don't have the "feel" so I make take one of the spares apart and do a little modifying.

trtlsoup22

There ya go... Sounds like you got a few to compare... I would surely try another source... Good Luck...

OP
OP
bronco_daddy

bronco_daddy

Loc.
Paso Robles, CA
stock headlights..the truck is seldom driven at night and I mean SELDOM! LOL. This last one, I think maybe had 4 clicks on it before the lights went out and when I went to pull the harness from it, the whole lower half of the unit pulled out from the rest of the body. I have zero electrical problems in this truck except for the light switch issue. Truck is highly reliable.

They click fine, they operate between hi and low very well...nothing untowards, they just stop working and this last one was the first that actually came apart at the housing. About 8 months ago the lights where flashing, changed the switch then and so it goes...

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I'm betting it's really an issue with the breaker in the headlight switch and not the dimmer. 2 words of wisdom-headlight relays.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
If the switch fell apart, relays won't help. ;D

Have you priced a new MotorCraft switch? Parts+Plus & a few other stores sell some MC parts. Personally, I'd be looking in pre-'92 Fords in the JYs for a decent original switch.

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
Had the same problem only mine sees alot of moisture (stays outside, bikini top, sometimes doors with inserts) Swapped out for a Motorcraft switch, no problem since. Pricey but worth it, about 30 list compared to 8 bucks Napa....5U2Z.11654.A Can get you a deal on one if you want to go that route....

Steve

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
Mine hasn't had any doors or top for close to 10 years of hard wheeling. I just recently, as part of the build, replaced the obviously original dimmer switch. It still worked.

Larry B

Loc.
Medford
Mine has worked for 160,000 miles and 30 + years as a d driver. I replaced it last year when I centeck the truck. Mabe that was a mistake.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Did finally have my original go out at about 110k miles, but the replacement worked well for another 65k and no problem. But it does sound like your replacements are junk. With that one falling apart, it sure sounds like it anyway!
I don't remember if mine was a Motorcraft or not, but back then it might have been, or the switches were just of better quality 20+ years ago.

Both the suggestions from Steve83 seem like a good next step at this point.

Good luck. What you're experiencing is pretty extreme.
Hmm, something else to think about here. When you bolt them down to the floor, is the floor warped where it mounts? Maybe the stress of bolting to a crooked panel is overtaxing it's little body. Worth looking at anyway.

Paul