• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

170 6 cylinder overheating

1966Halfer

Loc.
Central AR
My 170 is running really hot. New 180 degree thermostat installed...no difference. I have a replacement radiator on the way...it is just not cooling. Does anyone know of a shroud I could use with this radiator? Also, what else could be done to help with this issue?

Michael Homan

Loc.
Dayton,Ohio
Don't think Ford installed a shroud on the straight 6 170 inch motors, my 71has 18,000 and no shroud.

might beable to fab one up out of sheet metal.

Did you check the radiator hoses. Are any of them collasping?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Might want to check into a shroud off a early mustang with a 6cyl they should bolt on. besides replacing the radiator and installing a shroud. You may want to flush the block as best you can. Also make sure the timing is good and the carb is not running lean or rich.

ochretoe

Loc.
Millington
Flush the radiator and block out with a good acid flush. It will work wonders. Also, make sure your bottom hose is not collapsing when hot.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Wow. A 170 overheating. That's a first for me..and I've owned quite a few with two still in the collection.

Tackle that problem entirely from the 'something is wrong/broke' angle, not from the 'what can I improve?' angle. 170 I6s do not overheat unless something is wrong somewhere. And no..I've never seen a fan shroud on one.

The radiator is the first place to look. Beyond the obvious signs of clogged tubes, you cannot otherwise tell what your raddy efficiency might be down to. That you have a new one going in should tell you all you need to know there once its installed.

Revelation

Bronco Guru
I am running a 300 with a V-8 radiator and no shroud, I am lucky to get the thing up to 180, and that is sitting at a light for an extended period.
Longshot but without the cap on can you see water flow? Could be a bad impeller on the water pump.

NC-Fordguy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Bethel/Greenville NC
As stated above look for the common things

I added a flow kooler water pump to my 170. It's hard to find through vendors and parts houses. I got it directly from flow kooler

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
I've never had overheating problems but I did have problems making enough heat in the winter to keep the cab warm. I flushed the block as suggested before and in my case replaced the heater core. When I flushed the block I was amazed at the amount of crap that I was able to flush out of it. I would suggest doing that first and see what happens. If you still have problems, try running it without a thermostat to see if that solves the problem. I have gotten more than one thermostat that was bad out of the box.

cletust1966

Loc.
Knoxville, Tn
I had the same problem and I flushed my radiator, installed new hoses, and also installed an electric push fan. Make a HECK of a difference!!!

SteveMa74

Contributor
I had the same problem and I flushed my radiator, installed new hoses, and also installed an electric push fan. Make a HECK of a difference!!!

Same as last post. Go with an electric fan. My 200 straight six would overheat quite a bit....but usually after running it on the freeway at 55-60 mph. The three speed with 4.56's has me running at high rpms. No problems since i got the electric fan.